Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hibernation with XP,settings lost

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kg198

kg198

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hello,

I have an Acer laptop 5003wlmi with XP.

When I come out of hibernation, the system settings are lost:
1- my screen reverts to its dimmest level and
2- the wifi is turned off
I have to manually fix both of these. Possibly a virus?

This just started happening last month. Hibernation worked flawlessly in the past years up until today.

**I just noticed this- when I hibernate then unplug my laptop and later plug it back in, the system settings are lost.
When I hibernate and leave the laptop PLUGGED IN, the system settings (wifi and screen dim level)
are in fact retained when i power up.

Last point, the laptop battery is dead/maybe 5 years old. But shouldn't the
hibernation settings be saved to the hard disk?

Please let me know what you think. Thank you!!!

Edited by boopme, 26 October 2012 - 09:13 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Seems to me that hibernation problems may be linked to video driver problems...I'd uninstall the current video drivers and then reinstall same.

Louis

#3 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

What about the wifi being turned off? A video driver here will resolve the issue? Thank you.

#4 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

After hibernating the laptop screen dims totally and the wifi turns off (where both setting were fine before
hibernating)

Suggestions to save hibernation settings in XP? Thank you.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I think we should get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
If Gmer won't run,skip it.

Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

When i hibernate and unplug my laptop (and remember my battery is dead after 5 years)
I have these hibernation settings lost: wifi turned off and screen dims very dark

When i hibernate and leave my laptop PLUGGED IN, then the hibernation settings are
OK, wifi remains on and screen is bright as prior to hibernating.

The prior person here suggested it is NOT a virus...

I can run dds and gmer if you feel it is a virus. Thank you

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

Agreed I am moving this back to Xp.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:16 AM

You must set your power options when plugged in as settings when in battery have different settings. These also includes on the Advanced settings of your power options. Posted Image

Tekken

#9 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Thank you for your reply. But i can't find the exact Advanced Setting you pasted here.

How can i paste screen prints (like you did) to show your my Power Options Properties
I have these 5 tabs under Power Options (for XP):
Power Schemes
Alarms
Power Meter
Advanced
Hibernate

I don't have (or see) under Advanced a Power Saving Mode, On Battery or Plugged In like the screen print
you pasted. Thank you

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

I think this settings are only present on OEM laptops that start from Vista and above version. Did not notice this on XP. What is on the advanced tab? Do you see any dim adjustment settings when plugged in and on battery?

Tekken

#11 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

No, i dn see any dim adjustment settings on the Power Options tabs. Plus I dn see anything that would keep the wifi On after hibernating.
Up until a few weeks ago both of these (dim and wifi) were fine when i came out of hibernation.

After checking a little, under System Properties, Device Manager, I do see a menu of items that can be expanded with "+" buttons, such as "Batteries", "Microsoft A/C adapter", "Power State Mappings", "Computer", "Network Adapters", etc. But i'm not sure how to proceed.

Under Power State Mappings/ Details tab, I see:
S0-> D0
S1->Unspecified
S2->Unspecified
S3->D3
S4->D3
S5->D3

Any thoughts? Thank you very much...

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Any thoughts?

Only the one that I use -
Under Power Options > Hibernate > I have unticked that option so it will not exist
When I finish doing work, the computer is set to stay on for 1 hour without screen saver etc, then I just save or close all work and hit the Off button .............

But I do know that option will not suit everybody ......... just me -

#13 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Actually, I like hibernating... but want to get back to saving my dim level and wifi connection. I'm sure there's a trick to getting the hibernating function to work as it did on my XP laptop for years.

Any XP "hibernation" guru out there pls help... :)

Thank you.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

If I have to make a choice between sleep or hibernation mode, I would choose the former. Maybe because sleep mode is more reliable basing on experience. I think you cannot use this hibernate on laptops because to enter hibernate requires a critical level on battery. Since you don't have a battery plugged in anymore, then you would miss that function from now on.

Tekken

#15 kg198

kg198
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

According to Microsoft, when you hibernate, XP saves a file, your system settings (like dim level and WIFI)to the hard disk so that when you power back up your laptop returns to it's prior state. I've hibernated with no problems for years.

Somehow that hibernation file is not being saved now. But it has always worked up until a few weeks ago. How should i correct this? Any thoughts... If a file is supposed to be saved to HD then the dead battery level should not be an issue.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users