Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat old HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

Hello, all!

I have a problem with an older Aspire (Acer) D10 (or D/10, the print is extremely small) HDD. The data on it is not important. It seems to be working properly, and when it's plugged into my USB port, I can see it in 'My Computer' as 'Removeable Disk F', but I cannot access it. When I try, I am told "Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk F:" I just want to reformat it, but I am told that Windows cannot access it. It does not appear in Device Manager. Device Manager shows my Hitachi internal drive and a SATA2USB bridge, (which I believe is just a driver in my laptop, correct? )
I am using an Acer emachines D725 with Windows XP.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Edited by PGHinBKK, 19 October 2012 - 10:15 PM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

Try going here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html . You could also try changing the letter assigned to the drive you want to format.

Tekken

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

Jhayz,
Thanks for your prompt attention. I've never heard of this funtion in Windows, but I'll try it tonight and let it run overnight. The HDD is a 1.5 terrabyte unit, so I imagine it will take about 5 hours. I always keep a desktop fan running and blowing over my laptop and the HDD next to it, so I think it will be OK and not overheat. I'll let you know how it works tomorrow.

Thanks again.

#4 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:33 AM

Jhayz,

OK, I just tried it, and opened the Computer, then Manage, then Disk Management command window. It showed my (partitioned) internal HD as Disk 0, and the other, plugged into the USB 'F' port, as Disk 1. Beneath that it said 'Removeable', then a blank line, then 'No media', at the line where it said 'Online' for my laptop's internal drive. The block to the right of it was blank. A right click did not give me the option to put it on line, only 'Properties', Change name and path, and Help..

In SPIF30X USB2SATA Bridge, Properties, 'General' says the device is working properly, 'Volumes' says Disk 1, Removable, partition type MBR. Under 'Drivers, it has Microsoft, 6/21/2006 6.0.6001.18000, and Details just says Disk drive. When I changed the letter-name of the drive, to 'R', it didn't help. (I changed it back to 'F'.)

I went back into the Device Manager window, right clicked on the SPIF30X USB2SATA Bridge Device line, chose 'Properties', but the 'Volumes' tab did not have the info that I posted above from the same command window received when I went into it via Computer Management.

What next?

Edited by PGHinBKK, 20 October 2012 - 04:41 AM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

Did you try the diskpart link?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users