Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS checksum eror after battery replacement

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Little dawg

Little dawg

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

I recently changed my graphics card. While the card was out, I decided to change out the original year 2007 battery. I had no CMOS problems before, but I thought that since the battery was over 5 years old and buried under the graphics card I should change it. Now I get a checksum error telling me that it will reset to the defaults. Is there a driver that I should have installed? The error does not occur at every restart, only when I unplug the computer. I checked the voltage of the new battery and it is good (3.2 volts). There are no problems at all with my computer, unless I unplug it.

Dell Inspiron 530, Windows XP Pro SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

A graphics card replaced along with the CMOS battery replaced would trigger the hardware reset only once.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

When you unplug/disconnect the power cord of a system...it's the same as manually turning off the PSU.

In some cases, the CMOS battery will then automatically reset to default CMOS settings. I've experienced this.

There is no reason to unplug the system, just shut down Windows.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000237.htm

I would go into the BIOS...elect the "optimal boot" options...save by hitting F10.

See if the previous behavior continues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users