Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAUTION- installing Win7.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 autigerfan

autigerfan

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Evening partygoers! I am needing to re-install Win7 ultimate on a hdd. I had to take the hdd out of my pc and put it in my dads. Now I have all of the 411 backed up on my dads pc but still have the 411 on the old one.
So, 1st question. Can I install my win7 ultimate to my hdd w/out messing up my dads pc? How many partitions do i put on my new install? Can I install win7 while on my dads pc, transfer everything i backed up on my dads pc and put on my hdd. i just want to be able to do all of this @ 1 pc. when I am done I can put my hdd in my pc and go back to normal.
my dads pc has the following in it. 1. my 411 from my hdd copied to his pc.
2. my hdd in put in his pc right now
3. want to install 7 utlimate and transfer over my copied 411 from his hdd to mine
4. can i do all of this on his pc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

What is a 411?

Can I install win7 while on my dads pc, transfer everything i backed up on my dads pc and put on my hdd. i just want to be able to do all of this @ 1 pc.

No, you can't do this. Windows has to be installed on the computer it is going to be used in.

The hard drive can be fitted back into the other computer once the Operating System is installed, and monitoring the boot order to make sure it doesn't try to boot from your Windows, copy across any data files you need. In what actual form is the backup? You will not be able to return any applications from the backup to the new Windows, but assuming you have simply used a copy of files as the backup, you can just copy back any documents, images/videos, music files etc.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Platypus,
411 means information. So I will have to take my hdd out of my dads pc, put it in my pc. then once I am done installing win7 on my pc I will have to go and put my hdd back into my dads pc, copy my files from his hdd to mine. and then reinstall my hdd to my own comp?
I was hoping I could install Win 7 onto my hdd alone, transfer the copied files back to my hdd and then be done w/ out having to make several trips back and forth between pc's.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi Autigerfan

Is this the same computer we were discussing in the other thread?

James

#5 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Yup. I still kept looking for solutions-but to no avail. I had spent hours trying to figure it out. I was taking my time trying to use the situation as a learning opportunity but it just wasn't working. I finally had enough. BTW- thank you for you help!.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:11 AM

Instead of moving the hard drive back and forth there is an alternative.

If the budget allows it purchase an external drive. Hook it up the your dad's computer, put your files on it, then connect it to yours and put the files on your computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users