Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Restarts =s!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fact0r

fact0r

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hey guys, aiight so heres my problem

i recently bought a new computer had it built there. i take it home and after about an hour it restarts. It makes a "d-d-d-d-d-d-d" sound freezes for about 3 seconds .. then restarts.

I've taken it back 3 times. .in the space of like 5 months, they've done hardware checks eg. mem test n stress tests and said they havent found anything wrong. not only that they havent been able to get it to restart =S!

In the space of 4 hours id say it would restart atleast 3-4 times and its not on anything specific games, browsing net, idling it restarts on all. ive formated once. thought it might be a cooling problem so i took the side pannel off and have a fan right up against it cpu temp is @ 35 deg when it restarts so it cant be that.
no ideas left even comp shop is stunned for answers

Also i get an error report saying theres a problem with either the cpu ram system board or power supply on every restart.

Heres my stats
Microsoft Windows XP - Home edition v 2002 sp2 instsalled

AMD Athlon 64 proc
3700+
1 gig of kingmax
Geforce 6600 pci express*16 256mb

cheers for any help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:38 AM

Demand a full refund and find another builder for your system.

//Edit: Don't take "duh" we don't know for an answer. Money back or a fresh build, and watch them build it.

Edited by KoanYorel, 20 March 2006 - 04:40 AM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 fact0r

fact0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:24 AM

Yeah im going to have to if i cant get it fixed.

Just to make sure theres nothing @ home that could be causing it ?

or a mouse, monitor that could be screwing with it ?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:39 AM

Do screen shots and print them when it gives you the pow supply or error messages or take pics of the screen with a digital camera if that isn't possible so you have proof.

It sounds like the power supply but it could be almost anything including the RAM and/or the motherboard (which expands when hot and contracts when cold so intermittant connections can result)

I would demand a new computer at this point as they have made several unsuccessful attempts at diagnosing and repairing the one you have. Do not wait until it is out of warranty or you will be sol.

#5 fact0r

fact0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, i have another PSU so i might try that -FINAL STRAW- ill post back to let you know if it works.

Just checking it doesnt matter too muich about the wattage right ?

#6 GottaHaveFaith

GottaHaveFaith

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 12:10 AM

I got a complete system from Best Buy once. It was an HP. It did the same thing. They checked it and checked but couldnt find anything wrong.

Then they gipped us on the warrenty. We tried to contact HP but we ended up explaining our story to like 7 different Indian people who barely spoke english. We just gave up.

We ended up filing a report with the Attorney General but nothing ever came of it.

$3000 down the tubes.

Everytime we brought it back to Best Buy they would replace something, keep it for a couple days, then give it back to us, then it would do the same thing.

Thats why we went through HP themselves. Who knew theyd be worse than Best Buy.

Anyways, you tend to think that large corporations wouldnt behave this way, but apparently they do.

Thats why i would never buy another HP product as long as i live. I steer clear of Best Buy for anything semi-expensive as well.

The relevance of this little story here is that you should go demand a replacement or a refund, and dont let them give you the run around.

#7 fact0r

fact0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:17 PM

ahah awesome now ARC Computers where i bought it from is telling me i cant get a refund because they havent found anything wrong with it when its obviously restarting.

looks like $1200 dollars down the drain for my tower.

#8 ReX

ReX

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:32 AM

ey i have the same problem 2. the same thing was happenin to me on my old comp. i noticed on my old comp that it would happen faster if i was watchin movies or playing games. And also after it restarts if i still stay on the computer it will restart in bout 5 minz. i reformatted it but i still had the same problem. i bought a new computer n its got the exact same symptons as u but i dont get no error msg. here r my new comp stats because they r pretty similar 2 urz.

AMD Athlon 64 dual core proc
3800+
2 gig of DDR2
Radeon..... pci express*16 256mb

#9 fact0r

fact0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2006 - 04:14 AM

Ey Rex, it sounds like you have a problem with ur wiring, try getting a UPS or using ur comps in a different room or at a friends place to see if it still restarts, thats what im trying to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users