Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection intermittent and slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I've exhausted most of my knowledge and need some help figuring out why my laptop computer is running so slow on the internet. The problem is that the issue is definitely intermittent. Sometimes I completely lose my wireless connection and other times it is so slow the web page stops loading and I get a IE error. When I plug the computer directly into my router the download speeds are much better.

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5057. The computer is used wirelessly and the router is about 45 feet away with extra range antenna. I have Comcast home internet that plugs into a Motarola SB5101 cable modem. The modem then goes to a Motorola (Vonage) VT2442-VD router. Finally the Vonage router is connected to my D-Link Extreme DIR-655 wireless router where I cannot via wifi with the laptop. I also have a iPad 3 and it occasionally has issues as well with connecting to the internet.

I'm running Norton Security Suite as my home AV. I continually do full scans and I have also run Norton Power Eraser and neither come back with any viruses. I also run Malware Bytes and it too has never found anything on my computer so I don't think it is malware or a virus at this time. Now I did update my wireless drivers yesterday and it didn't seem any better. So I ran Spybot and it came back with the W3i.IQ5.fraud virus. I think I got it last night because I downloaded 7zip from the Atheros, and it sounds like this is a typical virus when you download 7zip. When I tried to restart the computer I had a fatal error that kept Windows 7 (64-bit) from loading. I put in my disk and I was able to finally get back to my desktop. I ran a new Spybot, Norton, and Norton Power Eraser scans and found nothing. I did notice my Lastpass acting up so due internet error so I downloaded it again and that seems to be fixed, but the computer is still running very slowly on the internet.

At this point in time I honestly have no clue if it is a virus or just my wireless network causing me issues, so I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose the issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jean-Guy

Jean-Guy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

Have you tried without the VT2442-VD router connected?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users