Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One drivers won't install on Windows 7 laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tinroad

Tinroad

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

I have an older printer and a new laptop.

I downloaded the Windows 7 64bit drivers for my new laptop off the HP website and the setup goes well all the way to the end when I connect the printer and wait for it to go through the driver install process. I get to step 7 of 8 and it stalls out for quite a while. When it finally completes it says that the install failed. The driver is not installed. I tried this several times. Even completely uninstalled the printer and reinstalled. I then ordered the disk from HP and tried to install directly from it but I got the exact same problem.

I am assuming the issue is with the computer.

Windows 7 Home Premium

x64 based system

AMD A4-3300M APU

Thanks for any help.

Shannon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

I have an older printer and a new laptop

Please list the printer and computers Full make and model, as it may not suit your "newer" laptop, also any other details on the printer .

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 19 October 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#3 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

The Printer
HP Photosmart C5280

The computer
Toshiba Satellite L750D
Dual Core AMD A4-3300M APU
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

I have downloaded the Windows 7 64bit/32bit HP drivers for the Photosmart c5280 from HP's website several times. None of those installs worked. I bought the drivers disk from HP's website with no luck either. All installs fail near the end.

I have scanned the laptop with Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, AVG Antivirus, and Advanced System Care to rid it of as much malware as they could see. Which was not much.

I tried talking to HP's technical service twice and all they wanted me to do was download the drivers off their website and reinstall them before hitting me up for more money than what I agreed to pay.

One thing I think might be a clue to an issue I don't understand is when I install or uninstall the software the print spooler always has to be turned on by the installation. I thought the spooler was always on. I have gone into Services and turned it on many times to see if that made a difference which it didn't.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Did you allow Advanced System Care to alter your registry? I strongly recommend removing that
program and not using any registry cleaner.

You said your scans found malware. What malware did they find? Was it only Ad/ Tracking cookies?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Malwarebytes found the following on Oct 12th: Quick Scan

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\INSTALLEDBROWSEREXTENSIONS\215 APPS (PUP.CrossFire.SA) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 1
HKCU\Software\InstalledBrowserExtensions\215 Apps|4479 (PUP.CrossFire.SA) -> Data: Giant Savings -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 2
C:\Users\judy\Documents\Downloads\games(1).exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\judy\Documents\Downloads\games.exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Then this on Oct 17th with a Full Scan:

Registry Keys Detected: 1
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\PDF Reader (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 1
C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFReader\Uninstall\Uninstall.exe (Adware.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Attached are screenshots of SuperAntispyware quarantined items. The log didn't save for some reason.

Advanced System Care was downloaded and run after the problem already existed.

Edited by Tinroad, 20 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Advanced System Care was downloaded and run after the problem already existed.

Remove all IObit programs, as they will now clash with your Malwarebytes and SAS scans (also your antivirus)

Download Adware Cleaner run it as admin Click the delete button allow it to run and post the log it creates.
AdWare Cleaner
Please make sure all other programs are closed as it will reboot your system -

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Edited by noknojon, 20 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

Extra to above -
Look at the face of SuperAntiSpyware program and there should be "View scan Logs" listed at the lower left side.
This should contain your scan logs -

AdWare cleaner should remove the traces of Babylon left in your system, if you wish you can click on Search and leave that report first.
From there we can see what it will remove -

You can also download and run Junkware Removal Tool by thisisu -

First Update and then Run a new Quick scan with Malwarebytes, and post the log back -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 20 October 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

The Babylon toolbar is often seen accompanied by some serious malware. I suggest you
ask for help in checking your comp out in the Am I Infected.....Forum.

Step two in the link below has a Fix it tool for the print spooler. Be sure to read the info in step 3, too.
Printer problems in Windows

Does the printer show up in the Add/ Remove list now? If it does and since you were not able to complete
the install, you should uninstall all of the software mentioned in the add/ remove list for the printer.
I am assuming that no other printer has been installed on this computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

Adware Cleaner log and Security Check log are attached

SuperAntispyware does not have a log history available which is strange because I know I ran it and it cleaned some junk out.

Attached Files

#10 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

I ran Adware Cleaner a second time

Attached Files

#11 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

JRT attached

Attached Files

• Attached File  JRT.txt   1.67KB   2 downloads

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

EDITED as post is now in Am I Infected -

Edited by noknojon, 21 October 2012 - 05:17 PM.

#13 bloopie

bloopie

Bleepin' Sith Turner

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

The topic has been posted to the AII forum, please continue it there: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic472586.html/page__p__2874838__fromsearch__1#entry2874838