Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is failing here, my SSD or GPU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Killa-X56

Killa-X56

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Okay...I'm sick enough of this going on for months that I decided to join the forums and write up for help. I'm 90% sure my SSD is failing.

I got an ADATA SSD ( Keep reading before you go HAAA THATS WHY!!! ) that I got back in april. About 3 months ago I started having crashes. When i render a movie to C:/, after 1 minute...CRASH.

When i install any program of any size > 50mb, after a minute of installing, CRASH.

So. Time went on, of gaming..playing off my F:/ drive. Rendering movies to F:/, using C:/ as little as possible. 3 months of no crashes.

I come home today to find my start menu, was empty. I hit restart, and it crashed.

It booted. I went on youtube to watch a video in 1080P full screen to 1 monitor. 20 minutes passed, i heard a 60hz blip. 2 minutes passed, Crashed.

It booted. 10 mins of trying a video again, Crash.

It booted. 10 mins of just chatting to a friend, Crash.

Right now im on 40 mins of no crashes, so far.

I have two main questions.

1) How can i confirm its the SSD not GPU / other?
2) If its the SSD, can i buy a new one and EXACT clone it -- How? All my programs are on F:/

Define Crash you ask?

Style 1) All 3 monitors display a pixel hell of white/blue/brown/black/etc and usually has a 60hz bzzz to it, and restarts. My PC then says to insert a repair disk ( that doesnt exist ). If i hit F8, my SSD doesnt display in the boot list. I have to SHUT OFF my computer for 10 seconds, power it on, F8, THEN it shows.

Style 2) Any window im in, locks up. Slowly, more things lock up. Then the task bar goes away. Then My mouse locks up. Then it restarts. Again, it either says "insert repair disk" or "Boot device not found" Power off 10 seconds, power on, its found.

What oh what to do... I've heard ADATA is the worst SSD to buy, and they die out fast. This is a $2500 computer i got 6 months ago, and the SSD was the only thing i went cheap on.

Please help...If its the SSD and i can clone it, replace it without problems, This bleepty peice of ADATA is going to be hand delivered to the geek group to get 80,000 joules 2000V of high energy and blow the hell out of it >_>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Welcome to Bleeping computer. :welcome:

Please follow my instructions below.

I need two files from you for you to help me help you better.

First

[1] Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

[2] After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

[3] Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
Posted Image

Edit: The image above must have been deleted from imageshack, that's why it is presently not loading)

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Secondly

Please download VEW and save it to your Desktop: http://images.malwareremoval.com/vino/VEW.exe

Double-click VEW.exe then under Select log to query, select:
Application
System

Under Select type to list, select:
Critical (Vista only)
Error

Click the radio button for Number of events
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

In Notepad, click Edit > Select all then Edit > Copy
Reply to this post, click in the reply window and press Ctrl+V on your keyboard to paste the log.

Once you have posted those two files to this topic I can assist you better.

Kind regards as always and thank you for chosing Bleeping Computer.com

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 October 2012 - 08:35 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Killa-X56

Killa-X56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Sorry for the delay. I'm sure its the SSD, why else would it crash any time i copy a big file over to it aka i can control when it crashes. It only makes since that it IS the SSD. I was trying to clone my SSD to a mechanical harddrive all day today. It copied without any errors. I used miniTool to do this, to clone a disc by coping the System and Windows partitions to my blank 300GB harddrive. When I booted the computer, it looked fine, but after the windows boot screen it when black screen saying Autocheck autochk missing -- skipping autocheck, and restarts my computer every time.

I looked into it online seeing people say "its likely miss reading the wrong directory" ( I checked and the autochk.exe does exist. ) They mention to edit BootExecute in that case and well, It doesnt exist on my computer. I even tried manually adding it in ( though i never deleted it ) and still failed...and when i went back into regedit, my added in BootExecute wasnt there.

So really I guess my main question is going to be "How do I clone my C drive?" I can easily start scratch. The reason im avoiding that is so i dont have to reinstall every program...Many programs are on my F:/ drive, but windows doesnt know that and will simply say "Reinstall this program" :(

Anyways, What you asked for:

My system is being stupid and says Operation timed out ( ran as administrator too ) So, alternative solution:
Posted Image imgur.

VEW keeps coming up as blank, running exactly how you told me.

-- Update

I used EASEUS partition master and it sucessfully copied to a test drive ( 6 year old IDE ) which .. wow, slow as heck...takes 5 mins to boot vs my SSD that takes inder 1/2 a second.

So far no crashing. Rendered 1GB of video while running solidworks / watching a 1080P video..usually on the SSD, even a 1 minute 720P video rendering in premier is enough to make it crash.

So, even though i may have my solution, I'm wondering is it true that ADATA sucks, and what should I go with? SSD is so unstable still, firmware issues on intels, some SSD's randomly decide "HEY IM 8MB TODAY!" and you loose your data, etc.

Edited by Killa-X56, 20 October 2012 - 04:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users