Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 41 - Can't burn CD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lovredwood

lovredwood

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

HP Pavilion. Downloaded from phone pix of our vacation, edited in Picasa, ready to burn CD. Message: cannot find device driver. it is loaded. Checked Device Manager for Code 41 says error may be from hardware removal. We did install new gateway recently, but also had malware problems that may have left damage. In Device Manager I tried to update, and trouble shoot but nothing worked. I will try to save photos on memory stick and look for a clean computer to burn them. If a registry problem, solutions to Code 41 are too tricky for me - can I try to disable device (T SSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H 492A is what shows up under device manager with a yellow dot)and download a free burner? Will a free burner work if it is a registry problem? Will an external burner connected by cable work? Any info/advice appreciated - nontech person here who just wants all those beautiful vacation pictures. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Run this fixit

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Restart the PC and let us know if it works.

#3 lovredwood

lovredwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Saw that page and tried it before but Fix it can't fix it. Troubleshoot doesn't either. I am not smart/brave enough to go into the registry, also do not have backup discs (HP didn't provide). Thanks for trying, but if you have an opinion on my questions about free burner download or external burner it would give me some new info. Thanks again.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hello -
Print this reply and follow it for the best results -

can I try to disable device (T SSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H 492A is what shows up under device manager with a yellow dot)and download a free burner?

Note: (TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H 492A) This is your installed Hardware, Not Software -
What you are looking for is the Software to make the Hardware operate. This means drivers etc. so your Hardware will work -

Downloading a free Program like CDBurnerXP / ImgBurn / PowerISO / BurnAware Free, etc needs Hardware to operate on.

Double click on My Computer, and is your CD player listed there. It may look like CD Drive :D or have another letter like :E after it (no problem) -

NOW - Follow this as written -
First see How to back up the registry
Your problem is caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries.
To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. If you need help verifying that you are an administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/admin
Windows XP
1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3.In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
4.In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry,
you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
5.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
6.When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
7.In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note: If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further.

8.On the Edit menu, click Delete.
9.When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
10.Exit Registry Editor.
11.Restart the computer.

All care is listed, and this method will not hurt your system in any way - This solution has been listed since 2004, or earlier -

Thank You -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

Note: The MS FixIt incorporates the upper/lower filters registry edit that we all know and love :). Not necessary to do as a separate operation performed by user.

Louis

#6 lovredwood

lovredwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have seen those instructions as an error fix. The (half anyway) problem was fixed without using it and I was able to burn photo cds but can't say with cerainty why! For some reason I went into Set Program Access & Defaults and clicked Windows Pictures as the default. Not sure if that did it but back in My Pictures the task box menu now showed Copy to CD (also able now to copy in Picasa). Copied vacation photos immediately to disk. Strangely, it keeps bouncing out of default but at least I still have Copy to CD enabled.
Second half of the problem is that I can't play any photo CDs now - even old ones.. I can play the one I just made on another computer, but on mine the task box shows up when I insert CD, hear a small amount of activity, and so I click Windows Pictures & Fax viewer play slideshow and then nothing. Here's my question: is the burner and drive problem (now solved mysteriously) separate from whatever drive, etc (sorry, not a tech) that reads CDs and shows slideshow or are they connected somehow? I just want to know in what area I should be looking. Seems like there is no updating for XP Pictures & Fax viewer. Please don't suggest Fixit/troubleshooter: useless. Can you recommend another download in Windows that will allow me view cds as slideshows? Thanks so much.

#7 lovredwood

lovredwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Forgot to add this info: In looking for repairs to Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, Microsoft Product Error Article ID 921048 seems to say it might be their fault. They suggest reinstall but I am nervous about going into registry. I hate this. Is there anything else new I can download to use instead? Thanks.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:30 AM

Note: The MS FixIt incorporates the upper/lower filters registry edit that we all know and love :). Not necessary to do as a separate operation performed by user.
Louis

Just a quick note to add to this topic - This was on my XP SP3 Pro computer, and the first problem I have had.

I had the same CD problems today "Not recognised" and "Reinsert a working CD/DVD" and the Fixit did not solve it, after changing 4 CDs that all work.
I used the Fixit several times, but it was only the manual method of removal of Upper and LowerFilters that solved the problem 100% -

It just showed that the Fixit is the first, but it is not always the only way to repair the problem - - -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users