Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Reader Using Tts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:32 AM

Good day/evening! Running i6000 MCE5.

I want an email reader to... announce/read my email while I work on other stuff. There are many email reader programs, I downloaded several. Every one needs:
1) pop/email server name,
2) pop/email server username,
3) pop/email server password.

I think, with MSN,
1) is pop.email.msn.com or pop3.email.msn.com or pop.mail.msn.com,
2) is my xxxxx@msn.com username
3) is my password to connect to MSN (same as Net.passport password to get hotmail)

I have tried entering all possible combinations, none work. The error messages vary with the program, but basically they say the reader can't get access MSN email. Cyberbuddy (one of the reader programs) suggests that MSN may have an extra level of security that the reader program can not get through. Readers can not access hotmail and other web based email, only pop email. But MSN is pop!

Does anyone know how to get around this problem with MSN? One thought I had was to get another pop email account that works with email readers and have MSN email forwarded to that account? Seems like a heck of a way to do things. Also, that setup just opens up another loop for spam, nasty attachments, etc., to get into my mail -> my system.

Another thought: Is there one or more "services" in that big list in the console that needs to be changed (manual, auto, disable) to get the reader through to my mail? I know nothing about that console thing, I'm just trying to come up with some posibilities.

I would prefer to get help here if anyone can confidently offer it, before I try chatting with the wonderful folks at MSN Help. What's up there lately?

Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 20 March 2006 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:16 AM

Open your MSN email account with your browser and look under settings for information on how to configure other email programs to retrieve mail from MSN.

Somewhere once you log in it should give you the settings you need for your email client.

It may need to have different ports set (like Gmail does) or use encription, but it should tell you somewhere in the webmail browser once you log on.

You may need MSN software installed on your computer.
http://membercenter.msn.com/download.aspx

You may also be able to set your MSN mail to forward all mail to a regular pop3 account (like Gmail can) if you cannot access it directly with your chosen email client.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users