Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Hang on Black Screen During Shutdown & Freeze During Games

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kingpotato

kingpotato

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:17 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently got a PC that my office was getting rid of. The PC was in great shape and I was told it worked fine when they gave it to me. They ripped out the hard drive and gave me the machine.
As soon as I got it, I put a brand new 2Tb Seagate HDD in. I also replaced the existing RAM (2x1Gb sticks) with 2x 2Gb sticks with the memory speed to match my motherboard. Finally I swapped out the ATI Radeon HD2900XT with a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460.
There was a sound card (PCI) I removed as well as a redundant firewire port I unhooked from the Mobo.
I then booted and peformed a fresh install of Windows 7 32bit Pro. Everything seemed to be going fine... until I tried to shut down.

Windows would freeze on the Shutting Down screen. I mean freeze because the spinning circle would stop and the entire machine was unresponsive. I read online that pre-Service Pack 1 Windows 7 didn't like multi-core processers and would have issues shutting down, so I updated to SP1 (along with a bunch of other updates).

Now when I try to shut down, the Shutting Down screen disappears and the signal to the monitor ends, however the machine stays on. I can hear the fans running and see the lights to the PCI cards still on. Once again I have no option but to hold the power button until it shuts down.
I have looked up and down many forums with plenty of people posting, but none of their solutions worked...
One extra note I double checked every driver and they are all up to day. Also when I boot in Safe Mode the PC shuts down fine and I have no problem restarting, just shutting down...

Here is where it gets worse... I tried to play Starcraft 2 and after a short period (3 min) the entire computer froze up. I looked in the event viewer after rebooting and saw no error around the time the freeze occurred. However I did see three other errors:

The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for FailureActions with the following error:
Access is denied.

- and -

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

- and -

The previous system shutdown at 7:58:19 PM on ‎10/‎18/‎2012 was unexpected.

Additionally I tried running Starcraft II with the absolute minimum settings and the same result occurred. (previously my default was high/ultra)
I have attached my dxdiag and my mgadiag. Thanks for reading!

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2012 - 10:11 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi,

it may be a good idea to to put the old RAM and install the old graphics card (ATI Radeon HD2900XT) in place of the new one, if you still have both. Check if the computer is still freezing.

If it is not freezing, then change the RAM to the newer one and check if it's working. If it does, you have incompatible graphics card.

Best of luck.

Edited by easyrider2, 21 October 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#3 kingpotato

kingpotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the suggestion easyrider2.

I tried the old RAM and graphics card and had a similar outcome. The program would run for a short period and then freeze... I figured something may be overheating, so I went into the BIOS and set an automatic alarm for the CPU, but it never went off. Additionally I guess it might not be the GPU since both acted the same way and the same for the RAM.

Does it sound plausible that it has something to do with the PSU or the way Win7 handle power settings in the OS instead of in the BIOS? Or is it possibly a motherboard issue?

#4 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hmmm....if it would be the hardware issue, your computer would freeze when shutting down in the Safe Mode as well. But from what you said, I understand that it does shut down fine in Safe Mode - right?

I am wondering what antivirus you are using. I found this (http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/85696-scregsetvalueexw-call-failed-access-denied.html) when someone had similar error when using Kaspersky.

#5 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

One more suggestion, just to stay safe, I would recommend scanning your computer with Hitman Pro (http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/) and MBAM (http://www.malwarebytes.org/). I am not a malware expert but I am sure that you will find the right help here if your computer is infected.

#6 kingpotato

kingpotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

I have no problem successfully shutting down in Safe Mode.

I started with AVG Free 2013, but am now using Microsoft Security Essentials. Both of them have run full sweeps with no problems found. To be honest the only use the computer has had so far is downloading Starcraft 2, Windows Updates and posting on this forum...

#7 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

To be honest, I would still check this out with Hitman Pro or MBAM, just to be sure we can exclude or limit the malware out of equation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users