Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Labtop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AishaAKAD

AishaAKAD

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I bought a labtop from a good friend. I think she has way too stuff on it. How can I clean or erase her stuff? I was told twice I need to this in order for the labtop to be faster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hello -
If we can see some programs and some of the setup, it would be of great help -
Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
List devices (Problem only)
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Thank You -
Information Added -

Edited by noknojon, 19 October 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#3 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I can see two options: you can either do the new clean installation of the Operating System (this would erase all data on the hard drive or you may decide you want to keep it as it is and just do some cleaning.

If you choose to keep the current system:

- Go to Control Panel and then Add/remove programs and uninstall all programs that are unwanted

- in 'My computer' select and delete (first to the recycle bin in case you delete something sensitive) all folders/files that are unwanted (DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING THAT HAS TO DO WITH SYSTEM FILES LIKE 'WINDOWS')

- I recommend using Ccleaner Free (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download) to clean the files from known unused locations and also to clean the Registry (remember to save the backup of the Registry before repairing it).

Provided that the hard drive in your laptop is not Solid State Drive (SSD), I would recommend doing the Boot Time Full Defragmentation using Puran Defrag (http://download.cnet.com/Puran-Defrag/3000-2094_4-75115626.html)

Best of luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users