Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Incompatibiity With Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alpadilla

alpadilla

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

I had someone work on my computer and they decided to upgrade my system to XP (from 98) without my permission ... now my printer is incompatible. I have tried everything I can find. Needless to say, I don't have the XP disk to update the driver and the system will not 'roll back'; ANY IDEAS??

(Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 20 March 2006 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

Did they provide you with the COA? That is the 25 digit sticker that should have been placed on the side of you computer after the install. If not you will soon not be able to use XP. If they installed a second instances of XP on your computer with someone elses COA, as soon as the MicroSoft servers detect it they will diable both installs of XP. You will have to purchase XP or reinstall '98 with your disks.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:31 PM

What brand and model is the printer? I have worked with many of them and there are often things that can be done. The first thing is to check the manufacturer's website to see if there is downloadable software/drivers for that printer and the XP operating system specifically. Often, the original software was written before XP and won't work with it.

In one case, the customer, who had called the printer manufacturer's tech support, informed me that the only they could get their laser printer to work was to download a British version of the software from the website, and when I found that already on the computer, it worked fine.

I often wonder what's going on with these manufacturers because there are so many printers that require an Act of Congress to get them working. Even my new HP PSC 16710v all-in-one printer took a couple of tries to get installed. Most of my problems are with all-in-one printers. I have spent days with HP tech support in emails only to finally be directed to a patch that works, which was neither available on their website nor mentioned for the first couple of days emails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users