Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The Torrent"-My First Build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TidalWaves

TidalWaves

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

I'm going to first post the parts I'm looking into as well as What I already bought. I've put the required info such as budget and the pricelist under a spoiler because it's long as I've tried to add as much detail as possible.

I do live in Canada as I metion below fo I expect some price differance/ Taxes/ shipping prices to make the parts a bit pricier. Also, i should mention that this is my first time building a computer myself.

Approximate Purchase Date: somewhere between three weeks to 4 months.

Budget Range/ Total Cost expected: $1,000 CDN -$2,800 CDN But I'm willing to go a bit higher if I need to.. when I mean a bit, I mean UNDER $3,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing, Graphic Design/ Digital art, movies, music, web Browsing, General useage -ex: word processing

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe. I've considered as the power button on my current one is broken.

Parts to Upgrade: not sure.

Do you need to buy OS: No. Already Purchased.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com and futureshop.ca

Location: Sydney (cloest computer sores to my current home), Nova Scotia, Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD FX-8150 8-core, GeForce GTX 670

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: unsure. Some part I'm eying say SLI one other says Crossfire ready

Your Monitor Resolution: 1024x768

Additional Comments: Looking into using a combination of Liquid Cooling and air cooling? Is this Possible? Case came with 5 fans preinstalled. I plan on only using 2 top fans, one fron fant and the two built int side fans. Case supports up to 7 fans and has rear apratures for Liquid cooling. If i invest in liquid cooling, i want the tubes to glow blue to coinside with the computer's black/ Blue color scheme. Also, considering my choice of parts, one friend says that i seem to have futureproofed this build to some extent. Have I?

Also one thing that I read on a fourm regarding my case is that if you want to use a second fan on the top of the case, the upper most drive bay MUST be free. This leaves me with 4 useable drivebays which I'm fine with.

Why Are You Upgrading?: I'm going from a HP slimeline to an actual sized computer. One complaint I have about my current PC -aka the Crabhammer-Is that It's difficult to upgrade as it needs special slimline designed parts. Also since it's a 32 Bit, my RAM Capacity is limited. That and the CD Bay doesn't live DVDs -both blank and movies/ game DVDs anymore.

List of parts NAMES THAT HAVE BEEN STRUCK OUT HAVE ALREADY BEEN BOUGHT

Case: Zalman Mid Tower Computer Case (Z11 PLUS) [url=http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/zalman-zalman-mid-tower-computer-case-z11-plus-black-z11-plus/10207186.aspx][/url] BOUGHT FOR $69.99CDN AFTER ISSUES WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SHIPPING AROUSE.

O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Bought in store at futureshop in CDN

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR3 Desktop Memory (newegg.com)

Hard Drives:

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 480 GB [Will house O/S, Antvirus, and one game. Other things may also be installed on this. This will be my C Drive] (newegg.com)
HDD: Any HDD that's at least 3 TB. No preferance in brand. [This will house everything else from my other games to music and pictures etc. I can fill 1 177GB HDD no problem]

CD/ DVD Bays: LG Black CD-ROM SATA Internal 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback LightScribe Support - OEM [I'm getting 2 of these] (newegg.com)

motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX [This comes with 2x 4 GB Ram sticks which I'll be selling] (newegg.com)

Graphics/ video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (newegg.com)

CPU: AMD FX-8150 8-core [i know that people will try to say "but intel's better" but I love the AMD and Nvida combo i have in my Crabhammer so why not? Plus for an 8 core, this AMD CPU is relatively cheap considering] (newegg)

Powersuply: RAIDMAX HYBRID 530W Build-in Blue LED Fan [will upgrade if not enough power for my machiene but the price and the color has me sold!] (newegg.com)

Network card: Rosewill RC-400 Networking LAN Card With Heatsink & 4 LED indicators [willing to change/ upgrade] (newegg.com)

Other:

Fans: ZALMAN ZM-F3BL (Blue LED) 120mm CNPS Quiet Cooler Case Fan to match the fan on the top of my case. [Will be removing the fan on the back of the computer to accmodate a Liquidcooling system] (ebay.com or anywhere reliable)

Liquid cooling: I need help with this one. A good system/ kit that's not too expensive PLEASE! I'm hoping i can get it/ the tube to Light up. will tha requre LEDs or UV lights/tubing? Again the main color scheme of the computer is black and blue. I know i've seen one system a year or two ago where you could pull out a tray to add water. i want to place this in /around a free Drive bay. The HDD/ SDD are located behind the front fan -on the bottom front of the case- so they have their own little area.

So based on my parts do I need a liquid cooling system? The setup I invision has the tubes visable and lowing (UV tubes and UV lighting needed?) like you see in some google sear images on liquid cooling systems. Here's the thing: I have a basic understanding on Liquid cooling systems and I'd rather just buy a kit so i know i have all the right parts. Thankfully this site saved me from buying a horrible one that I had considered buying. Can anyone reccomend a good Liduid cooling system with the glowing tubing or what i may need to achieve that effect? Also, will tha Liquid cooling system work with 3 air fans (two top one front)? The font one will most likely need to stay as that one is positioned preaty much in the area where the HDD and SDD will he housed. If I can use a combination of the two will i need some sort of adapter to connect all the fans+ the Liquid coolinf system into one socket?

Considering I'm sinking about $2,000+ CDN on "The Torrent" -my name for this build and it's name has some half decent reasons, feel free to ask if you're curious about the origins of the name- I need a bit of help and tips as is my first build ever. Also, if you notice anything I can add or get rid of or even that is incompatable or needs more power from a better power supply etc. Please let me know.

PS: i'm not worried about the USB ports. the motherboard and Case combine provdes me with 10 USB ports in total (6x 2.0 and 4x 3.0)

If you need more detail or have any questions/ comments, feel free to let me know.

Edit: PLEASE don't tell me to go with an Intel processor. I've already made my choice. I'll get a better one for less money. Yes I know Intel's preformance may be a bit better in some areas but I'll be happier and better off with the FX-8150.

About the SSD/ HDD combo extra space will used up don't worry. And I can fill a 177 GB HDD no problem.

Also, since my specs may seem overpowered, can anyone tell me if it's futureproofed to some extent or not?

Edited by TidalWaves, 19 October 2012 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

*Bump*

can anyone else help me on this? I really need some help.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

Can you please post the components list that your looking at again?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

Newegg.com doesn't ship to Canada, you have to go through their Canadian site at Newegg.ca.

SSD: Why are you getting one so large? For just the OS and one game you only really need about 200GB.

ODD: Why are you getting two optical drives?

GPU: Have you considered the Radeon 7900 series?

CPU: AMD has released a better version of that CPU, the AMD FX-8320 which recently came out. If you can find one, this is about 10% or so faster than the 8150.

PSU: Raidmax? I usually stick to a few brands, such as Corsair, PC Power, Seasonic, Silverstone, and XFX. I would get at least a 600W PSU for higher end GPUs. If you are planning SLI/Crossfire, I would go ahead and get a higher capacity one now.

LAN: Why do you need this when the motherboard has it already?

Liquid Cooling: Unless you are planning on doing some hardcore overclocking, I would stay away. It just isn't worth the hassle and expense when an efficient air system will do just as good for non-extreme OC'd workloads. If you really want to do this, Corsair makes a good setup that people like. It is the CORSAIR Hydro Series H100.

3939.png

#5 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

well I could always get a LQ system later so, it's good to ask now.

Newegg.com is the only place that has the parts I want :/ plus other people on other forums never mentioned this.

SSD: PLEASE READ THE PART WHERE I SAY THAT I CAN FILL A 177 GB HD NO PROBLEM. I'm also most likely adding more stuff too but that's All i can think of at the moment.

ODD: Ihave my reasons... one of them being the fact that my current computer only has one and that one isn't too fond of certain CDs, resuses to read/ burn to ANY DVD and it's slow to read them. Not to mention my parent's computer has 2 and one of theirs died last year and the only thing that saved them was their second BD which still functioned. Why is that such a problem?

GPU: most of my games are Nvidia-optimized or reaallly old games.

CPU: I actually just found that out today after I bumped a simular topis today on another fourm.

PSU: I actually went to the same brand with more power until OCZ ZX 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

LAN: didn't realize this untill 4 days ago and I've already taken it off my list but i never removed it here cause i haven't had the time.

Edit:
Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

SSD: (Rereads wall-of-text) OH I SEE! I kinda have that same issue, if I add the total of amount of apace I used on my OS drive and the drive I use for applications, it does near about 170GB so that is understandable, but that size SSD is really expensive.

ODD: No, that is not such a problem. It just seemed superfluous, that's all.

GPU: Out of curiosity, what games are those? From what I've seen, some games are initially favored by one GPU are typically only done so because AMD or Nvidia had early access to code for optimization. There are a few hold outs however, I think Skyrim is one of them. As long as the card you want meets your longevity requirements and can push 60 fps at settings you're comfortable with, go with whatever suits you.

CPU: People seem to like that new CPU, but it isn't enough to upgrade my FX-8150.

PSU: OCZ seems decent, but customers have had issues redeeming rebates.

Edit:

3939.png

#7 TidalWaves

TidalWaves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I don't mind the rebate issue.

GPU: Portal series, Fate series, WolfTeam (a FPS) old 1990's games -System Shock, System Shock 2, Need for Speed 3 Hot Pursuit just to name a few.

CPU: AMD finally made their processor what it should have been so why not?

Edit:

Edited by tg1911, 27 October 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

GPU: It's usually been my experience that in comparing two graphics cards occupying the same performance bracket, there may be differences but they usually aren't major. I have a few games that have that irritating "Nvidia" watermark when starting up, it's usually just a kickback from them to the developer, or the devs worked with Nvidia to ensure certain levels of performance at launch, which AMD eventually makes up. With Sleeping Dogs, the reverse was true, it had the AMD logo and had fewer issues with their cards.

CPU: It comes down to a performance per dollar issue. I already have an FX-8150, it suits my needs quite well. Is spending $200 worth a ~10% increase in performance? I may get the next generation of Bulldozer CPU's, the Steamroller. Or, perhaps I'll wait for their fourth, Excavator. I will probably wait for their last AM3+ CPU and upgrade at that time. Games are usually CPU bound anyway.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users