Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc shutting down

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pinco000

pinco000

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

Hi guys, need your help. My problem is that my pc is shutting down while playing doom 3 bfg or even when I was using nikon software to convert raw files into JPGs. My laptop simply shuts down without any warning. I dont even have a minidump file after the crash. I believe it is related to my nvidia drivers. I tried a clean install (removing any registry values with ccleaner+manually with regedit). The problem persists. I tried to roll back to older drivers even to drivers provided with my laptop. Do you guys have ideas what my help?
My config is.. I7 3.06ghz, 8 Gb RAM, geforce gtx485m SLI, win 7 64bit ult.

any help will be appreciated..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:53 AM

hi try this:
http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/

#3 pinco000

pinco000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hi thx for help...just done that change in settings. Will wait for my pc to crash now. Will follow up here with a minidump report. Thanks !!!!

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file) to your Desktop
  • Extract (right-click > Extract all) the contents of bluescreenview.zip.
  • Double-click on the Extracted Folder
  • Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
  • When scanning is done (usually complete by the time the interface appears), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
  • Close the BlueScreenView window... ... ...
  • Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ... .... ..
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.
Thank You -

#5 ronald.teng

ronald.teng

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

Sometimes this are hardware problem, does your fan get over heated? If it does try using a cooling pad.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

hi,,, is the machine a laptop or desktop,,, and how old,,,,
could be thermal overload,,, after a few months the heatsink and the fans could be clogged up with crud and need a good clean out maybe.
The machine could be shutting its self down to protect its parts,,,, as your doing resource intensive things like gaming and editing/converting the heat will build up even quicker and thermal overload could be occurring.
Open it up and have a look at heatsinks and fans,,,,, i use canned compressed air for this type of cleaning job,,, do not spray without shaking the can first and aim the 1st spray in to the air to clear any trapped moisture.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 pinco000

pinco000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Please download BlueScreenView (in zip file) to your Desktop

• Extract (right-click > Extract all) the contents of bluescreenview.zip.
  • Double-click on the Extracted Folder
  • Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, to run the program. (No installation is required.)
  • When scanning is done (usually complete by the time the interface appears), go ...
  • Edit > Select All
  • File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.
  • Close the BlueScreenView window... ... ...
  • Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ... .... ..
  • Edit > Select All
  • Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.
Thank You -

Hi, thanks for the reply. My laptop didnt crash since. I have the Bluescreenviewer installed in case there will be a dump file generated. But like I said, I havent had a crash yet which Im pleased about. Will keep you posted in case there is another crash . Thanks!

#8 pinco000

pinco000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Sometimes this are hardware problem, does your fan get over heated? If it does try using a cooling pad.

Hi, I actually dont check the temperatures of my hardware at all. I did check the bottom of my laptop where all he fans are, and there was a little residue which I cleaned. I didnt want to remove the bottom covers as Im worried a bit to do that. (however the company I bought my custom build laptop bankrupt).
Not sure if that was the problem, but I havent had a crash since my first post here. Can you recommend any monitoring freesoft for my graphic cards and maybe processor if it is equally iportant to monitor its temperature too.

Thanks for the reply! Will let you know if I get a crash.

#9 pinco000

pinco000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

hi,,, is the machine a laptop or desktop,,, and how old,,,,
could be thermal overload,,, after a few months the heatsink and the fans could be clogged up with crud and need a good clean out maybe.
The machine could be shutting its self down to protect its parts,,,, as your doing resource intensive things like gaming and editing/converting the heat will build up even quicker and thermal overload could be occurring.
Open it up and have a look at heatsinks and fans,,,,, i use canned compressed air for this type of cleaning job,,, do not spray without shaking the can first and aim the 1st spray in to the air to clear any trapped moisture.
good luck.

Hi, it is a custom build laptop almost two years old. It cost me 2500. Im keeping it updated with latest software. I didnt get a crash since my first post here. But will keep an eye. And if it happens again I might become brave to open the case and have a look at the fans. Thanks for the reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users