Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I connect two routers and access the internet?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IceJudge

IceJudge

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:39 AM

My knowledge of computers is slightly above average, but my knowledge of networking is very limited. I was hoping to find out if what I'm trying to do here is possible or if I'm missing something. I'll try and be detailed in describing the situation and what I'm trying to accomplish; so pardon me if I skip anything.

Inside my house I have a PC (Window's 7), my ISP's modem (TWC), and my wired router (Linksys NR041). The Wired router inside is connected by an ethernet cable to my ISP's modem. I have another ethernet cable connected to the inside router (Linksys NR041), that leads to a Wireless/Wired router (Linksys WRT54G2) in a shed in the backyard. Inside the shed I'm trying to have two devices, both capable of WiFi; another PC (Window's Vista) and a TV access the Internet wirelessly. When I attempted this the Network and Sharing Center window on the shed PC listed a message saying "Limited Access Only." The PC could connect to an "unidentified network" but not to the internet. I also attempted to connect the shed router to the shed PC with an Ethernet cable instead of wirelessly and was still unable to access the internet. I tried to use the option of having window's fix the problem and was still unable to connect to the internet.

As far as I remember, I plugged in the house router and it functioned properly without me having to tinker with any settings so it should be in its default state. Ultimately I'd like to access the internet wirelessly in the shed outside or at all even if I have to connect through the Ethernet cables. Thank you to those that do respond. I have a few images just to incase they're able to provide more information.

Here's a screenshot I took while trying to trouble shoot the shed PC trying to through the wireless router, Linksys WRT54G2.(Please excuse the network name, me and a friend named it jokingly while trying to set this up)
Posted Image

Another image from from the shed PC
Posted Image

This is the state of the shed wireless/wired router(Linksys WRT54G2) when it everything is plugged in and I am still unable to access the internet
Posted Image

Edited by IceJudge, 19 October 2012 - 02:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Parman86

Parman86

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

You will have to go into your second router and turn off DHCP. Since in all reality its no longer a router just a switch.

Here is a great tutorial on how to do it.

Multi Router Network Configuration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users