Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't figure out Router IP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nmorrill

nmorrill

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

I'm attempting to figure out the IP address to my router, however, I don't have physical access to it and therefore I don't know what brand nor company it is.
I have tried using IPconfig and looked at the default gateway which gives me 10.70.10.1
However, when I type this address into my browser, I am sent to "unable to connect". I am currently using an ethernet cable. I'm looking for advice as to what make or model of router this could be with that IP address, as well as why I would be getting sent to an "unable to connect" and how to fix it.
I'm currently using an ethernet cable to connect.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 easyrider2

easyrider2

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hi,

could you type ipconfig/all and then send us the screen print of the full report.

Regards

#3 supermaltese

supermaltese

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

I'm attempting to figure out the IP address to my router, however, I don't have physical access to it and therefore I don't know what brand nor company it is.
I have tried using IPconfig and looked at the default gateway which gives me 10.70.10.1
However, when I type this address into my browser, I am sent to "unable to connect". I am currently using an ethernet cable. I'm looking for advice as to what make or model of router this could be with that IP address, as well as why I would be getting sent to an "unable to connect" and how to fix it.
I'm currently using an ethernet cable to connect.

Thank you!

If you are running Windows 7, click START, and type cmd and hit enter. In the black window, labeled c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE type ipconfig and press enter. Scroll up through the results, and your router IP is probably the Default Gateway.

Now, for the bad news, you need physical access to your router in order to change any settings unless the remote administration feature has been turned on. So...What do you mean you don't have physical access to it? You don't know where it is? You're using your neighbors? You don't have an ethernet cable? If remote admin is turned off/disabled, you won't be able to access it without an ethernet cable.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

The address range of your default gateway is a private class A address so it is not routable over the internet. This is the gateway for you internal lan. The wan will have a different gateway address. Since you don't have access to the physical router I am guessing you are not an admin. You will have to contract someone who is an admin to get the address.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 Hadnjury

Hadnjury

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Typically the address by default is 192.168.1.1 unless in the initial setup of the router it was changed.
Some people think technology has the answers - Kevin Mitnick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users