Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro will not start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bizitrac

Bizitrac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

Laptop was running fine when I began having problems syncing Google calendar with Outlook. Investigating the problem on the net I eventually reached a forum that suggested I run a registry repair tool. found a recommended product "Error End" which whilst running, froze the computer. Left overnight as was to see if it rectified but didn't. Unable to shut down any other way forced me to just turn off. Now unable to restart. I can access options via f8 and have tried all on offer. FYI the lapy is an Acer Extensa 5620 and was set up new a few years back by my IT guru who is conveniently on hols. I don't have a system boot disc but suspect he might. Any suggestions would be welcomed, including what calibre to use as a final option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

Seems to me that your problems...were exacerbated by using the Error End program.

http://www.scambook.com/company/view/25814/ErrorEnd

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Looking at the webpage for the product...I'd say that your first step should be to try to contact the developer/vendor.

Me...I would wipe it and reinstall via Acer recovery disks/partition for that model...aand change the manner in which i try to solve system problems that may be initially minor.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7355053_use-partition-acer-extensa-5620.html

Louis

#3 Bizitrac

Bizitrac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hi Louis, I really appreciate the feedback mate but I did already deduce that the programme"error end"had caused the problem and that I shouldn't have installed it in the first place so I was really trying to find a boot solution as opposed to an explanation. of what had occurred. I've tried every boot method I know in my limited capacity and I am aware that I can possibly boot from the recovery disc but as I mentioned this is with my IT guy and he's not around. Most of my info is backed up regularly to my server but there is still some rather important files on my lapy so I was trying to avoid the obvious and simple fix of just giving up and reformatting, at least to a point where I could access the files. Any other ideas?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

"Error End" is known to install / upset registry keys, and it is very hard to remove - Sorry but this is the only solution to your problem at this time >>

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== do steps 6-9

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include the link to this topic in your new topic and a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Good Luck -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:33 AM

FWIW: I disagree with the suggestion to post a malware log.

There is nothing that indicates that the program you installed is malware.

There is nothing posted by you which indicates that you had a preexisting malware problem on your system.

You have used a program that has modified your registry...that's what registry cleaners do, make changes which the user cannot trace/map. Since we have no idea what changes were made, nor do you have the ability to employ the tools which Windows might provide...I really don't know what you might expect anyone to be able to suggest, other than what I have suggested.

But...I've been wrong before and you should await other suggestions by other members, IMO.

Louis

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Let's try the following, and see where it takes us ...

:step1: Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

:step2: Try the following ...
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
  • The computer will attempt to load Windows.
  • If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
EXAMPLE OF A CASE IN POINT: Why 10 times?
christiedell ... "L K G C worked on try 5!"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic267221.html
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users