Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq 6910p - screen goes black after brief hang

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bds34

bds34

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi everyone,

My work laptop is an HP Compaq 6910p. I have been struggling with a problem that has not gone away despite multiple handoffs to my IT department and a complete wipe of the hard drive and system board replacement by HP that has taken place at least once, maybe twice. They've given me admin access at the moment so I am taking a stab at solving this myself.

When I use the laptop on my actual lap at home, which is often, I will be cruising along doing normal stuff. Without warning, the computer seems to enter a partial hang - I can still move the mouse, but I cannot click on anything. Then the screen will go completely off. The computer appears to still work - it has not completely frozen - but I cannot see anything.

Previously I felt I was struggling with the HDD fall sensor. The computer used to be very sensitive and the fall sensor woudl go off - three beeps, a momentary freeze, then all was well again. Then the fall sensor started crashing the computer. What's happening now is very similar to when the fall sensor was just being sensitive, but there are no beeps, the cursor can still move but not click on anything, and then the screen goes off. The software running this is HP 3D Driveguard.

I have tried to research these symptoms but can't find anything that would clue me in on the problem. I suspect it is some sort of driver/software issue that is from something that was originally installed on the system, because it has continued after several reinstallations of things, but I could be wrong. It also could be a faulty hard drive, as I do not know if the actual drive has been replaced or just wiped. Unfortunately it's not my own computer.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2012 - 07:53 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users