Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up. missing Os file

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 darbstew

darbstew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

so one day i was on facebook and then exited out of firefox. and then i cam back later and nothing worked, programs wouldn't open. so i restarted it and left. later my sister restarted it and it went to strt up repair. and now it keeps going to that. it says the Os file is missing. i search and this i often caused by a virus. so im like okay time to start up my computer in safe mode. but F8 dosent work. i smap it i hold it nothing! system restore has no resotre points i tried going to command prompt and doing a scan thought there. thats what happend heres the sum
windows wont start,virus my be causing OS file to malfunction, F8 dosent work. can't start up in safe mode.

heres more info.
i have a compaq presario PC orginally with windows vista and i upgraded up to windows 7 2 months ago. and i dont have ANY disks at all not windows 7 ones not windows vista ones. my computer came with no disks.

if you need more info just tell me please!!!
please help me!! i dont have enough money to buy a new computer yet!!

[Moderator edit and note: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 19 October 2012 - 06:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbob85

Jimbob85

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

Lets see if there is malware present.

Download and burn the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to a cd
Boot to the disk and follow the prompts to load the disk
Make sure that you follow the instructions here for scanning your pc
Make sure that you scan you main Hard drive with your operating system (usually c:)
After the scan is done select the report tab and select detected threats
Let me know how many of what type it found, if any
Save the report to a text file by clicking the save button
upload the info from that file if it's not to large

Let me know if that helps

Edited by Jimbob85, 22 October 2012 - 10:43 AM.

#3 Nett0

Nett0

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

OS file missing aren't always caused by viruses. Being a Systems Admin.. I see it mostly with hard drives failing. The file is probably in a bad sector that isn't readable, however I could be wrong.

With this type of issue, I would run ERD.

But first I need to know if you have Windows Xp, Windows Vista, or Windows 7? and it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users