Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting to an HDTV, display problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 attak sekwence

attak sekwence

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

So i am trying to connect my media PC to a westinghouse 42" 1080P LCD HDTV. when booting windows XP everything looks fine but getting past the boot screen the screen flashes on and off and occasionally there is some pixelated purple's, yellows, and greens. I had my graphics card overclocked slightly and immediately set that back to factory specs, No Joy. switched HDMI cables, no joy. I adjusted the resolution from 800x600 up to 1980x1080 (max resolution, i'm pretty sure that's what it was). Graphics card worked fine on a 15in monitor running burn in tests of furmark just to check for full functionality

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

that is the graphics card specs, it says the max resolution is 2560x1600

Media PC specs

Motherboard: ASRrock A785GM-LE
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 @ 2.2 GHZ
Graphics: MSI R5450
RAM: 2X 1024MB Dual Channel DDR2 Crucial Ballistex gaming RAM
HDD: 1TB western digital Green
Sound: Vantec 7.1 card
Wireless: Rosewill RNX G300-LX

Edited by hamluis, 19 October 2012 - 02:13 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

Resolution is a combination of two factors...the card and the monitor.

If the drivers installed allow for a resolution in excess of that recommended for the monitor...the resolution within Windows must be adjusted downward to match that of the monitor.

I would uninstall the current video drivers (via Device Manager), which will result in the system using the default Windows generic driver. Then I would reinstall the drivers which came with the card...set the resolution to match the monitor's recommended resolution...and see how that goes.

Louis

#3 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

I still had flashing using both the windows drivers and the reinstalled AMD catalyst.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Then...I'd be thinking "hardware" as the cause. I'll move your topic to a hardware forum.

Louis

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

So, it boots OK through the Windows welcome screen, then after it gets to your desktop, it acts up?

Couple of things. What drivers, CAT 12.8s? Does it act up in safe mode? VGA mode? Does it screw up at lower resolutions with your TV?

If it is OK in any of the above condition I would suspect some sort of glitch with the drivers possibly. Real off chance there might be a problem with the cards memory and it can't support that resolution/refresh rate. Try GPU-Z http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2173/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.6.5.html to see if all your memory is recognized.

Do you have DVI-HDMI dongle to see if that makes a difference?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for trying hamluis.

@dpunisher
yes through the BIOS (which does display a picture of a lake, or an ASRrock logo for about 5-10 seconds there is no flashing whatsoever the same for the "windows is loading screen" which displays for 20-30 seconds. after it hits the login screen then i start to get flashing. and once windows loads into the GUI then i have flashing between once every 1-5 seconds. It continues to flash in the windows is shutting down screen as well.

i installed CAT 12.8 from the AMD site
I'm not sure what VGA mode is
All resolutions and refresh rates flash. all normal resolutions from 640x480- 1920x1080 all @ 60 HZ, CAT manager also gives me the option to force a refresh rate i tried various combinations from 24 up to 75 HZ (75 HZ is the TV's advertised refresh rate) all of which make no noticable difference in the frequency of flashing.
No flashing throughout any part of booting safemode. through loading drivers, login in screen, desktop and shut down screen I have no display issues at all
GPUZ shows 1024mb of GDDR3 memory which is the cards full capacity

#7 attak sekwence

attak sekwence
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:54 PM

I solved this issue, unfortunately, by taking my XFX 6959 card from my gaming rig and putting it into the media PC. I leave for the army tomorrow so it's not that big of a deal but now i have other issues yippee hooray. this has been a bad month for technology and me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users