Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP -- SMART HDD Virus

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 johnmel

johnmel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have the SMART HDD virus on my WINXP PRO laptop. Ran rkill and malwarebytes but pc rebooted and now i only get a flashing cursor on the screen on start-up. I can not get the pc to go to safemode. I have an external HDD usb case that i can use to remove the HDD and plug into another pc. HELP please. THANKS!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

I have asked another that specializes in these non booters to look here.
What is your Operating System?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hello johnmel :)

I need to get a bit more information of your situation so I can better help you.

Do you have your Windows XP CD or a Windows XP Recovery Console CD?
Do you know if you have the Recovery Console installed?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

Hello, just a note that I moved this here to the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum were it will stay.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:45 AM

Windows XP Pro SP3, yes i ahve the original XP install CD, no there is no recovery console CD

Hello johnmel :)

I need to get a bit more information of your situation so I can better help you.

Do you have your Windows XP CD or a Windows XP Recovery Console CD?
Do you know if you have the Recovery Console installed?
[/quote]

#6 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ok, we are going to run a couple of commands using the Windows XP CD. The CD must be in the CD-rom drive for this to work.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type the following commands in the order given here. Some of them will require confirmation and want you to type either Y for Yes or N for No. Then you need to press ENTER afterwards. Use Y for both commands if applicable.

• fixmbr
  • fixboot
  • exit

After you type in the last command ( exit ) and press ENTER, the computer should attempt to boot normally. Do not boot from CD again ( do not press any key when "Press any key to boot from CD.. appears ).

Let me know how it goes and describe your PC's situation when finished.

#7 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Followed the instructions below.

Upon start up, I did not press any key to start from CD. I received a message stating "NTLDR is missing, Press any key to restart". Upon hitting any key I get an error message "Non-System disk or disk error replace and strike any key when ready"

Ok, we are going to run a couple of commands using the Windows XP CD. The CD must be in the CD-rom drive for this to work.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type the following commands in the order given here. Some of them will require confirmation and want you to type either Y for Yes or N for No. Then you need to press ENTER afterwards. Use Y for both commands if applicable.

• fixmbr
  • fixboot
  • exit

After you type in the last command ( exit ) and press ENTER, the computer should attempt to boot normally. Do not boot from CD again ( do not press any key when "Press any key to boot from CD.. appears ).

Let me know how it goes and describe your PC's situation when finished.

#8 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Please download and create this bootable CD called GParted using a working computer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/0.14.0-1/gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso/download

If you do not know how to create a bootable CD. Download ImgBurn and then following these instructions: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Remember, gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso has to be burned as an Image.

If you were successful, boot from this newly created CD.

Then post the information about the partitions. Use the picture below as an example:

Posted Image

#9 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

Partition File System Size Used Unused Flags
/dev/sda1 nfs 111.79GiB 33.89GiB 77.90
/dev/sda2 unknown 2.48GiB --- --- boot, hidden

the first line has a light blue square next to the nfs
the second line has a triangle with a "!" inside and a black box next to the unknown

Please download and create this bootable CD called GParted using a working computer: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/0.14.0-1/gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso/download

If you do not know how to create a bootable CD. Download ImgBurn and then following these instructions: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

Remember, gparted-live-0.14.0-1.iso has to be burned as an Image.

If you were successful, boot from this newly created CD.

Then post the information about the partitions. Use the picture below as an example:

Posted Image

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

This one needs to have the boot flag:

You can change it by right-mouse clicking dev/sda1 and selecting Manage Flags => then put a checkmark in Boot.
Apply the changes by selecting OK and then pressing the Apply button (very important!)
And then attempt to boot normally.

Edited by thisisu, 19 October 2012 - 05:25 PM.

#11 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Ok, it did start up, went into chkdsk and is now asking me reinsert the cd "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD" should I do this?

This one needs to have the boot flag:

You can change it by right-mouse clicking dev/sda1 and selecting Manage Flags => then put a checkmark in Boot.
Apply the changes by selecting OK and then pressing the Apply button (very important!)
And then attempt to boot normally.

#12 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Ok, it did start up, went into chkdsk and is now asking me reinsert the cd "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD" should I do this?

Is it saying that some files need to replaced? If you can, take a picture of the message you see. Here's how: http://take-a-screenshot.org/

#13 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:56 PM

I can't take a screen shot without installing the disc. It is the windows installation screen. The first 3 buttons are marked green and the one stating "Installing Windows" is highlighted. There is the note at the left that states setup will complete in approximately 39 minutes.

Is it saying that some files need to replaced? If you can, take a picture of the message you see. Here's how: http://take-a-screenshot.org/

#14 johnmel

johnmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:00 PM

I can take a photo and email it to you if needed.

#15 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I can't take a screen shot without installing the disc. It is the windows installation screen. The first 3 buttons are marked green and the one stating "Installing Windows" is highlighted. There is the note at the left that states setup will complete in approximately 39 minutes.

That does not sound good.
What happened from the time you were in GParted to now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users