Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Repair Nightmare!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 autigerfan

autigerfan

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

My desktop PC attempts to load Win7 Ultimate but all I receive is the Startup Repair, which of course is not working. I have tried a system restore twice, I have also a "bootrec/fixmbr" and "bootrec/fixboot". It said that those 2 were sucessfully done. There is a link that has been posted to possibly help with this issue. But when I get to the "CD\Windows\system32\config" i recieve the following message "system cannot find the file specified". I have an Intel i5 w/ a 500gn Western Digital HDD. Please help. here is the website link that I made a reference to earlier.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I was able to use the article from http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html however it did not cure the situation. During this process I have not been able to have any access to my Win7- even in safe mode. Please, I need some serious help. I have some vital 411 on the hdd. Thanks.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hi

Do you have the Windows 7 Ultimate DVD? If you do, have you tried booting from it?

Does the Automatic StartUp Repair run and give you an error? If so, what was it?

What happened before the computer stopped working? Did you have a virus or any errors?

James

#4 autigerfan

autigerfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

yea, automatic startup repair runs and does give the error. I have used the windows 7 DVD same thing.

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

What is the error that it gives?

Does it let you view diagnostic and repair details after the automatic startup repair runs?

If so, does it list a ROOT CAUSE?

Here is an example...
Root cause found:

------------------------------

Registry is corrupt:

Repair action: Registry roll back

Result: Completed successfully.  Error code =0x0

Time taken =7722 ms

That would give us a clue as to the next step to take.

James

EDIT: Also, I still need to know "What happened before the computer stopped working? Did you have a virus or any errors?" Is there a particular reason that you think it is a registry problem? Sometimes the main drive with the directory \Windows\system32\config is not C: in the recovery environment so the error that you could not find the directory may have been because you were looking at the wrong drive, not necessarily that it is missing and causing the computer not to boot.

Edited by James Litten, 19 October 2012 - 09:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users