Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop USB ports part-working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 D808Centaur

D808Centaur

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite M40-200 EN
Model No: PSM40E-05D013EN

This laptop is new to us from a friend, but its history is otherwise unknown.
It has 3 USB ports, 1 on the left, 2 on the right.
The two on the right do not work.
(Have tested with a USB keyboard and a USB mouse -- both work on the left, neither on the right.)

Device Manager doesn't show anything obviously amiss.
Any suggestions please as to what's wrong or how I can fix it?

Regards
PJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

Try uninstalling the drivers in the Device Manager and then restart the laptop. When the laptop is restarted Windows will assign new drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

Well, the drivers were certainly re-assigned, but it hasn't fixed the problem.
Device Manager lists the same components:
4 x Intel ... USB Universal Host Controllers
1 x Intel ... USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
5 x USB Root Hub

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Those 2 USB ports are on a separate daughterboard by themselves hooked up to the main board by a ribbon cable. Just a thought.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

It does seem more like a hardware error.
So this is certainly worth a look.

The underside of the case has a number of screws marked 'b6' which look like the ones holding the underside on.
Are these the ones to go for?
(Laptops always seem to be put together sneakily!)

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Also take a look at the two ports and make sure they are not physically damaged. I have seen them where they are damaged.
This Google Link should show what a damaged USb port looks like.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm afraid there is more to opening it up than that. You need to remove the keyboard, the hard drive, the DVD drive. Screws on top and bottom, cables for the speaker, power switch, Touchpad, speakers, etc. These are in general what needs to be done. I just opened a Toshiba Satellite Pro pulled the Motherboard, removed the rattling screw and put it back together. Time = approx 30 minutes. First thing I did was dig up a service manual. Then You need to understand that the connectors are easy to damage.

I quoted Someone $49 a while ago to remove a Bios password on a Toshiba. I was too high the person tried using Internet directions. I had to say that the motherboard was ruined. Saved $49, Killed Motherboard.

Laptops are delicate.

If you decide to go ahead, try and find a manual. Look the connectors, some have a latch that slides others use one that flips up. Speakers usually unplug. First thing to remove is the battery.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:31 AM

Hi Roger
The non-working USB connectors are not obviously damaged, so it's going to be something more subtle.

I am not averse to dismantling things (I'm taking my car dashboard to bits this afternoon to replace some of the bulbs, and I've replaced hard drives on my desktop) but I have taken your warnings on board. You do get the impression that laptops aren't really meant to be taken apart!

A quick Google for "Toshiba Satellite M40-200 service manual" gave 400k results, so if I go ahead with this I will certainly follow that up. No doubt someone will have put it on YouTube as well. Must remember this in future as I don't like asking 'obvious' questions on this forum. (Sorry.)

For now I think I will put up with the problem.
It's not my laptop, everything else is working, and there is one working port that can be used for a hub if necessary.
More to the point, I will be in serious trouble if I break it! :o

Many, many thanks for all your time and trouble helping me out.
Peter

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

If the owner decides that they wish to pursue this there is a video tutorial for that model which was made for the replacement of the keyboard. This should get you far enough to be able to access the port cable.

You can view it Here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 D808Centaur

D808Centaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

Thank you.
I will make a note of it for future reference.
(...although our laptop case is different from that in the video :( )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users