Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Good Is A Athlon 64 3000 Cpu?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

I was just wondering how good an Athlon 64 3000 CPU is. How many Ghz is it equal to? According to my source, it is only 2.0 Ghz but I have heard online that it is equal to a higher processing power on an Intel Pentium 4 processor. Would this computer be able to play all the newest games that have and will be coming out?

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:59 PM

Just my opinion - I have the Athlon 64 3000+ and I think it's about equal to a Pentium 4 3.0. (I work on many kinds of machines) It's what I thought would be a good price/performance balance and I've never been unhappy with it. Clock speed isn't everything.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

More than the processor is involved in whether or not you can run high graphics games.

The speed of the processor, the motherboard, the graphics adapter and how much of its own RAM it has, the speed of the hard drive/s, the type and quantity of RAM - even the power supply and cooling fans all play a part. So does overclocking, which if you are not an expert is not recommended.

It's a matter of how high is up.
The processor in question is certainly fine for most applications but gaming can be a different kind of animal.

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 March 2006 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:37 PM

As it's a 64 bit chip, it could, in theory, be equal to a 4GHz chip (though this doesn't seem to be the case, I guess cuz not all programs can use all 64 bits).

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:50 PM

There are very few 64 bit programs as yet but there will be - its the future of the industry.

The big Athlon 64FX is a screamer!

Edited by Enthusiast, 19 March 2006 - 11:54 PM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:21 AM

Here is an old review of an Athlon 64 4000+ CPU. I you look at the benchmarks, you can see a comparative performance in different task by many different CPUs, amongst them the both the 3000+ and Pentium 4 3.0 GHz.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 wemibelec90

wemibelec90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

What if a game requires 2.4 Ghz to play? Does the 3000 work like it's 2.0 Ghz or like its 3.0 Ghz? Could you play the game?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

You most likely could.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 06:44 PM

yes the Athalon 64 3000 will play your game >>>> CPU and computer performance is not usally or even very often a pass or fail kind of endeavor. But generally it boils down to how PERFECT and seamless it will play the games !! I am almost willing to guarantee you that the 3000 cpu will work most games fine if you have 2 gigs of ram and a decent 8x video card with 256meg ram onboard the card. After that; you are chasing perfection and benchmarks, some users never want to see ANY lagg whosoever thats where the cheese gets binding and expensive >>>> that last little bit of perfection can be very expensive to achieve.

If you have not bought a processor yet >>>>> I personally think the best bang for the buck in in the Venice Core 3800+ or even 4000 if you can splurge >>>>>> I compared a comparable equipped systems >>> one with a venice 3800 against a dual core x2 3800 I saw no improvement using the dual core over the venice core

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users