Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP stopped recognixing both cd/dvd/ drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kappy77

kappy77

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

I have an HP running windows xp. A while ago my computer stopped recognizing one of my cd/dvd drives. I have two. I thought it may have just pooped out finally so luckily I had a couple other computers I could part out. I replaced the one, it worked for a little bit then for some reason my computer just stopped recognizing both of them. It just behaved like there were no drives at all. they would not show up in my computer. Then i switched those two out for new ones and the computer sees they are there. I can eject from My Computer, but it wont read any discs it just clicks a little and the green light flashes then nothing. I searched all over online and tried different things from other forum posts, I unplugged them switched them around, edited the registry, ran multiple anti virus scans.. and nothing has worked so far. I am at my wits end with this I have no clue why my drives just wont spin a cd and read it if the computer is now recognizing them.... ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Worth a try, MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

IMO, the fact that you tried multiple drives...might point to the cables you are using as the problem, since they are possibly a common factor. They, like anything else, do/can go bad or get damaged.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users