Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 strange behavior. Network created on its own.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 apparatus

apparatus

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Hi.

In Windows 7, clicking on Network tab now shows as this image below in attachment:
Computers: shows computer name (opening it accesses Users shared folder).
Media devices: shows when I open windows media player (but "Media streaming options" is disabled in Network and Sharing Center).
Network Infrastructure: shows modem name (opening it accesses modem page).

How to turn this off again to see what I always had when clicking on Network tab: This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect.

Please any help is appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

not 100% sure it will get it back to what you use to see ,but for the most part I think if you right click onnetwork and choose remove network drive it will change back

Edited by caperjac, 19 October 2012 - 06:59 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 apparatus

apparatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'm afraid it didn't work. There are no drives that show in the Disconnect Network Drives window.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

Go to Network and Sharing Center and turn off home network discovery, save changes.

Tekken

#5 apparatus

apparatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks, computer and modem aren't visible any longer in Network and i read "Network discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. Click to change..."

But consider somehow Network discovery is turned on again sometimes, then Computer and modem will again be visible.

How to permanently revert back to closing a Network I didn't create and have once more: This computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect.
?

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

still try to figure out what issue you are having ,I have 2 computer one with win7 and one with win8 and I don't get a view of network sharing center that you have posted in the first post ,

are you trying to remove one network and connect to a different network .

do you even need to be worried about the info in the attached picture if you are not trying to connect to a network ,or are you trying to connect wireless to a different network than the one in the list,

I think when installing win7 you are asked if you want to setup a network and that's when we make a decision to do or not do it

Edited by caperjac, 21 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#7 apparatus

apparatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for trying to understand the problem.

The attached picture isn't of Network and sharing center. You can go to Network in any folder when you click on Network button to the left. it's in windows vista, 7 and 8.

are you trying to remove one network and connect to a different network .

No. I'm not trying to connect to any network and I did not setup any network. i just want to remove a network that i did not create. and yes I should be worried because like I say in the topic title: a network is created on its own.

So to repeat. I always had what's similar to this image when clicking on Network. unfortunately i don't see this again. the question is how to remove the Network to see this message again?
Posted Image

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

ok even thought I remove my computer from the home group ,the networks show my other 2 computers ,not until I disconnect from the wireless router does the network show empty ,like the one in you last post ,so I guess even if I don't have it setup it still shows possible computer I can connect to

#9 apparatus

apparatus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for trying to help caperjac. So the question is if I don't setup a Network I'd still see my computer, my modem and some media server?

I'm not really sure about this neither because I never saw a Network before when I had my modem turned on till recently.

I have no Network and no router it's just one computer connected to a modem.

#10 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

not sure if just something win7/8 does automatic ,it been so long since had winxp.

I guess maybe it just see the internet as a network we connect to ,will read a bit more to see if I can find any more about it

Edited by caperjac, 22 October 2012 - 03:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users