Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive crashed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmatt

mmatt

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

The family laptop, a Dell,has crashed showing an error which when researched says it is a hard drive failure. I had borrowed leads to connect the hard drives to a different laptop but the connections are wrong so now I am stuck. As there are files, photos ect I need off it, I am wondering will using a Linux Live CD or similar work to access it the files.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Yes, you should be able to use Puppy Linux to access your data. There is a good tutorial here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mmatt

mmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the response. So this method will boot up the laptop and then I can just transfer my files to a SD card ect.
Would using a Live CD allow the laptop to be used for everyday use. Like for internet browsing or should it only be used for repair or accessing work??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

Linux can be used as your primary operating system, there are those who swear by it as an alternative to Windows.

There are other here who can provide more information, I personally don't use Linux.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

Related topic in the Linux forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic472371.html

Puppy Linux is an ideal choice for your purpose. There are several versions of Puppy being developed and released concurrently, but at the moment Slacko Puppy seems to be the "flagship" version and I have found it to be excellent. Lucid Puppy is excellent also, and if you might wish to take a closer look at that troublesome hard drive with some tools you can use from Linux, I would suggest that you go with the Lucid version. However, you always have the option to download/create another LIVE CD later if you need it for trouble-shooting your hardware/Windows system.

You may find the following guide useful: Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Any questions, please go ahead and ask. I am sure you will find Puppy to be a very enjoyable (as well as useful) experience. Have fun.

Any problems/questions when attempting to recover your files, then please ask and I will try to help.

Re: "The family laptop, a Dell,has crashed showing an error which when researched says it is a hard drive failure."
If you have any questions or wish some assistance with this problem, then let me know and I will try to help. Linux can be very useful when investigating, recovering and repairing broken Windows systems!

Edited by AustrAlien, 20 October 2012 - 05:13 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users