Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows crashing maybe faulty sata3 port?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

I'm killing myself trying to solve the issues with my home build. I keep suffering from Windows crashing hard. When it crashes lately, most of the time the image on the screen is frozen and doesnt show any mouse movement. Occasionally freezing image with an active mouse cursor happens. Tonight, after one such freeze-up, I left the computer frozen until it rebooted or something on its own. When I came back the screen said, "Loading operating system...........disk boot failure. insert system disk and push enter"

I had problems with similar lockups before so I took out all my HDDs and reinstalled Win7 64bit onto a new Crucial M4 SDD attached to my Sata3_0 port. Win Exp Index gave my rig a 7.5 overall with 7.9 to HDD Performance, so I figure it is working through at 6Gb/s settings...either way.

Even with perfectly fresh install I suffered those freeze ups with no BSOD. I made sure the nvidia 560 driver was clean installed most recent version. Still no dice.
Since Ive had freezing lately with HDD or SSD OS drives and this recent "syztem disk missing" error, Im wondering if Ive got some faulty mobo Sata ports ot a totally crap Mobo? Any suggestions here? Ive had the OS disk plugged into different Sata ports at different times. Can the Intel Sata controller "driver" be updated?
What else can I try since Ive done multiple HDDs of multiplr types on multiple ports?

Ive run windows memory diagnostic and found no errors. The SMART values for both crashing drives reported back still very good conditions. I also just received the video card back from RMA because I though it was causing the freeze ups but it probably wasnt. Case is open for max airflow and is freshly cleaned of dust.
Thanks folks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

One more thing: I put BIOS to "fail-SAFE defaults" settings. Now I cannot boot at all just keep getting boot disk fail message. Sorry typing from phone.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

For disk boot failure and one thing to check also is your current power supply. Might as well borrow one of same or greater wattage just to check on the outcome.

Tekken

#4 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I dont have one to steal. Its a Seasonic X650 gold certified powering mobo, 2 4GB sticks of ddr3 ram, an old dvd rw/dl drive, i5 2600k, nVidia 560, and the Crucial M4 SSD. I used to be running 2 additional HDDs off it but they are currently unpkugged for troubleshooting.
I suppose I will try different Sata cable and port tonight and see if anything changes.
Any other troubleshooting ideas?

#5 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

OK I just got home from work and class, turned on my computer, I got the question about "Do you want to set the hard drive into ACHI or IDE mode" and it auto-selected the choice before I could hit anything. Then I selected "Boot normally into Windows" option on the boot options page and then Windows loaded properly. I'll see how long it works again. My guess is I'll get frozen up here soon.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hardware Temps., hard drive, power supply, RAM modules, loose or bad cable, motherboard is all I can think of right now.

Tekken

#7 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

I will try to use SIW tonight and post temps if I can. I plugged into a different SATA3 port and still got lock up. I don't think it's the actual Sata data cable because each of the three OS drives I've used utilized different SATA data cables. I can't imagine I have 75% failure rate on cables like these....
Does anyone think a diagnostic from a repair/parts center like Microcenter would be worthwhile to diagnose the issue? Let me know what you think, because after a year of troubleshooting and sub-par performance, I'm about to throw in the white towel!
Thanks folks!

#8 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have what I think may be a process for finding the problem HERE, but it's going to entail stripping your unit down and rebuilding. This is a posting I formed to help folks building a new unit, but if you follow the lead you will find your problem. You will also need a hard drive to do a fresh install of Windows 7. I hope this helps, or at least gives you a fresh idea. You are not experiencing BSODs, so there are no system generated crash dumps to analyze. Over the years I have found system freezes to be bad memory or bad hard drives. On rarer occasion it will be drive conflicts, although those usually cause reboots and BSODs. I test my memory with MEMTEST86+ and test hard drives with SEA TOOLS FOR DOS. You probably have your own testers, but it never hurts to double-check. You also might also pull your CPU heatsink fan and check for problems with the thermal grease either unevenly distributed or overflowing onto the chip water. I have had that experience with peoples' computers in the past. Let us know how it goes.

#9 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

In response to jhayz, I'm going to try to post some pics of temps.
My temps moments after Windows successfully booted: http://postimage.org/image/8nl7bsgtn/
Temps while running Supreme Commander @ full video specs: http://postimage.org/image/4wbmph357/
Does this help?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

Temperature looks fine. What motherboard do you use? Since you are not able to borrow another PSU, can you try using a single stick of RAM alternately until the freeze occurs?

Tekken

#11 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Alright, I tested my memory for several hours today. I started with removing one stick, leaving the stick in DIMM 1 intact. I ran Memtest86+ with stick 1 in DIMM 1, no errors:
http://postimage.org/image/5g21c3o03/
Then I ran stick 2 in DIMM 1, 2 passes, no errors:
http://postimage.org/image/lfkovnk1v/
Then I put stick 2 into DIMM 2, 2 passes, no errors:
http://postimage.org/image/l438iw3lv/
Then I ran both sticks occupying both DIMM slots for just over 4 hours, 4 passes, no errors:
http://postimage.org/image/buwgv15c3/

I don't see a reason to run the test any longer based on what I've read online, considering the prevailing wisdom that most any defects would show up in 1 or 2 passes if they were going to. I'd tend to agree with that logic for something as fragile and volatile as RAM.

The motherboard I'm using is Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, which isn't top of the line, I know, but it wasn't cheap!
@ranchhand1, I've run hard drive testing with Sea Tools and no errors popped up, along with all SMART values being nominal.

I happened to read this post that sounds like the problem I had starting a year ago:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/0xc000000e-boot-error/ef08ab00-e130-4301-bc80-79d5b414a81f
Too bad he didn't get it resolved either....
Or this,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-boot-manager-status0xc000000e-cant-launch/93e9c2ee-a63e-4eaf-a98e-923349bfee63

Edited by cbjfan2009, 20 October 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Try the onboard video and use one stick of RAM module(ignore the memtest results as of now) and check the freezing problem. Is there a particular event on the freezing problem or being random?

Tekken

#13 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Here is evidence of an all-nighter Memtest86+ run:
http://postimage.org/image/n2f8b37x9/
7 completed passes + and no errors reported. I'm noticing a trend when I have the freeze-up; if computer locks up, then I reboot, the computer says "Boot disk failure etc, boot from CD". If I reboot at this point, there is an endless cycle of returning to this screen. If I eliminate power to my rig completely (battery UPS off), then leave it off for a minute or two, then I'm often greeted by a functional Windows experience until the next lock-up.
Very bizarre.

Edited by cbjfan2009, 21 October 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#14 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

jhayz, I tried onboard video (removed physical video card) and still locked up after browsing internet and watching a movie off my external hdd.

#15 cbjfan2009

cbjfan2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

update: I ve exhausted other options so I toom the computer in for professional diagnostics at microcenter. I hope its money well spent. I will post results ina couple days to hep others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users