Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DWM not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 causio08

causio08

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hello fellow Bleepers,

things were going well with the Toshiba Laptop until a few days ago when it took a loooong time to boot up. This issue started after updating AVG internet security 2013. When booting, the screen " Starting Windows " shows up...with the Windows logo kind of glowing. This show lasts about 2 to 3 minutes...then it forwards to a blank screen for a few minutes then it goes to the " welcome " screen which then brings you to the desktop. When this happened, during the blank screen, 3 prompts showed up , one after the other, which said " Desktop Window Manager stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is found ". Once you close the prompt window on the desktop, after it launches, the laptop works fine.

What the heck is a Desktop Window manager and why is it doing it. Researching the issue there were a couple of things that were suggested: Make sure that the DWM was checked in Services...The only thing that I found in services was Desktop Window manager session manager running... it that it? I have also scanned with AVG IS, Malwarebyte and found nothing except this annoying issue. I also downloaded a fresh copy of the AVG IS 2013 in case the file was corrupted but that was not the case as the new download behaves the same. Does anybody have experienced this? I am stuck as I have tried what ever I can think of ...me being a low lever troubleshooter...thanks for all your help in resolving this. :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

I will direct you to a solution that might help your issue here.

Tekken

#3 causio08

causio08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

:thumbsup: Hello jhayz,

I could not be any happier with the results by using your suggestion...The first try did not work as the instructions on the chkdsk /r sheet showed capital letters. When the laptop rebooted it told me that the the volume was clean but still proceeded to behave the same way...so once all those prompts for the desktop window manager not working stopped popping up and closing them so that I could get into the deskttop, I tried it again but this time with the lower case...when the laptop restarted,the scanning began...it replaced 2 bad clusters including one that I recognized as being the .dll that may be causing the issue. so it restarted well and will keep an eye on the next few restarts to see if this fix is perminent...I appreciate your quick response. it saved me a lot of frustration.

thanks again for all your help.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

One note to add is make sure to backup your important documents and make a set of recovery discs if your laptop has these features. Another way is run diagnostic test usually by the hard drives manufacturing support site or mostly nowadays found by the laptop BIOS setup. You could also clone your current OS as these is the most practical solution nowadays.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users