Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acessing old Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nighttrain20

nighttrain20

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hello,

I have 4 hard drives from my old computers that I want to retrive data from. I purchased cables from Sabrent to plug them into my HD's and then plug it into the USB port on my HP computer it has Windows 7 installed on it.

I have no problem hooking them up to my computer...and the computer seems to recognize them (at least it makes the noise that it does) but I do not see them in "My computer" am I doing something wrong? It happens with all 4 when I hook them up. I tried it on my daughters dell lap top and the same thing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advanced.

Tony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Are you trying to hook it on a desktop USB port? Maybe you need to connect it internally as the next step but now you must need the right SATA or IDE cable. Not enough power is my first suspect not including what were the status of these drives prior. You may try checking it by disk management when connected to any USB ports also.

Tekken

#3 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:15 AM

yea I am using the usb port on the laptop. I beleive Ihave the right cables. When I hook them up, The computer says that my device is ready to use and I can hear it spinning. I can see it in disk managment. how do I access it from disk managment.

Thanks

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

I can see it in disk managment. how do I access it from disk managment.

If you right-clicked the drive, what options are available? Does it have the explore option? Is the drive also assigned with a partition letter, D:,E: F:.. and of what file system and status ?

Tekken

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Generally, if you can see a drive in "Disk Manager" but not as a lettered drive in "Computer", then either it is unformatted or has serious data corruption.

Does it show the full size of the drive in disk manager? AS said above, if you have the cable, throw it in your system on a SATA or IDE port and remove your USB adapter from the equation. You can plug it in place of your optical drive temporarily (assuming you have a desktop) and see what is on it.

The thing is, all 4 of the drives are doing the same thing, which makes me suspicious that something, either the adapter or something software related might be a problem. What that problem is, I just don't know. I have a lot of those USB-IDE-SATA adapters, a couple of them Sabrents, and the only thing that stands out is the lack of quality in the power connectors (4 pin Molex).

Edited by dpunisher, 19 October 2012 - 09:27 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

Well you were right, I pluged it in the wall direct and in the disk managment volume column it shows my C: drive My d: and for the hard drive outside the system it says "Recovery" (no drive letter" and the full size of the drive with the free space avalible. In the status column it says healthy, just like C: & D: drives but when I right click on "Recovery" the Open & Explore options are not highlighted to click on is there any other way to view it?

Thank you for your help so far.

Tony

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

What is the status and volume description on the disk?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Statuse says "Healthy(system, active, Primary partition)" and volume description says "Recovery"

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:07 AM

If you currently use a laptop, that volume recovery info. must be your recovery partition. Without any external drives attached, how many partitions are shown on My computer? Do you see a recovery drive?

Tekken

#10 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

You are right without it hooked up there is a recovery drive. but I do see the drive when I plug it in in the lower area calling it :

Disk 1
Unknown

Not initalized

It is the same for all 4 drives

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Right -click the disk drive - Is there an Initialize option? Do you happen to know the history of these drives such as errors or unreadable prior? https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dm_initialize_disk.mspx?mfr=true

Edited by jhayz, 21 October 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Tekken

#12 nighttrain20

nighttrain20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

Well I finnaly got 3 of the 4 to work..Thank you for all your help folks. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users