Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


vista program files names changed with numbers

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimBureau


  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Howdy folks!

Here's a weird one. Went over to a friend's house today to work on there computer as it 'wasn't working right'.

I noticed that all the icons on the desktop had their names changed to include numbers (ex Chrome(2345)), Inter Explorer(2942). The numbers seem to be random. Obviously trying to launch one of these did not work.

I then went into the Program Files folder and its seemed all the exe files and dll files were also renamed to include numbers...

I have never seen this before, and doing a search through these forums, and malware removal guides, it doesn't seem to have a fix (other than manually renaming the files one at a time, removing the number part.

I have included a screen shot for reference. In the screen shot I renamed the Itunes.exe, but it still would not run because the dll files are 'missing'.

Thanks for any input, but I think we are looking at a backup--->rebuild at this point.


Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 jhayz


  • BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Have you seem this link? http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/233243-default-file-type-associations-restore.html


#3 JimBureau

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the post.

After looking through that, it doesn't seem to fit.

All the extensions are there, its just the files have been renamed.

In the program files for Google Chrome, there were only a few files in there, in which I went and manually took the numbers out (renamed them back), and it stated up fine after that.

MS Works had a huge amount of files under its folder. It would take all day to rename all those. As a test I re-installed MS Works, and it loaded all the same files under the Program Files folder, so it basically duplicated everything that was in there, one file with normal file name, same file with the (1234) file in its name:


This is wacky stuff!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users