Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Stop Windows Messenger Starting Up Automatically?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LB1

LB1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

D-503 asked a similar question in the "Windows XP Home and Professional" section - I read the replies to that post and have unchecked every box suggested, under tools ... options ... signing in, for both messenger, and outlook express where it refers to messenger, but still every time I start up outlook express, messenger starts up too.

I'm not looking to disable the program I just want to be able to choose when I sign in.

(I have version 4.7 of Windows Messenger)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:46 PM

Start>Run>(type) services.msc
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

#3 LB1

LB1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:32 AM

Start>Run>(type) services.msc
Scroll down and highlight "Messenger"
Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
Click the STOP button.
Select Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
Click OK

Thank you River_Rat ...

Someone suggested this to D-503, but someone else pointed out that the service description says this messenger is not related to Windows Messenger.

However I did just try what you suggest, and restarted my computer, but it didn't make any difference - Windows Messenger still signed in automatically the minute I started up Outlook Express.

Just to confirm the Windows Messenger program I need help with is the instant messaging one.

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:35 PM

Hi there,

Weird, I just posted a program that covers this issue not even 5 minutes ago, then I came almost directly to this topic....Creepy.

Shoot The Messenger

Probobly the easiest way to manage Windows Messenger. This 22 kbyte "Shoot The Messenger" utility gives users immediate control over the Windows Messenger service.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

Just to avoid confusion, there is a difference between these two programmes/applications:.
Windows Messenger is the popup box, designed for messages and alerts from a netword administrator.
MSN Messenger is a widely used instant message application, which is what I assume the original poster was having problems with.

Since LB1 has checked the options on both Outlook Express, and in MSN Messenger itself, I don't have any further ideas outside of suggesting of updating MSN Messenger (it's 7.something now) and then seeing if there are better options in the later version.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 LB1

LB1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thanks nosnhoj#3

Having a look at your linked page, I see that you say the Windows "Messenger Service" that your program disables, is NOT "MSN Messenger" or "Windows Messenger" ... ie. NOT an instant messaging system.

It is actually my instant messaging system that I want to get under control.

It says it's "Windows Messenger" and it starts up everytime I go online or start up Outlook Express. I want to keep the program because I do use but I want to be in control of when it starts up.

There are a number of boxes you can check - both in the Windows Messenger page and in Outlook Express - to get the program to run automatically when Outlook Express starts - I've unchecked every one I can find but to no avail!

At the moment I am just letting the program sign in, and then setting my status to "appear offline" if I don't want to actively use it - if I sign out of the messenger program it still seems to have a mind of its own and starts itself up again when I'm not looking! (When outlook express checks for emails, I think ...)

I feel like I must just be missing something REALLY obvious ...

jgweed - thanks yeah it's msn messenger ( ... well it says window messenger but maybe that's just to confuse us!) If I can't get on top of this problem with version of the program I currently have I will try updating to the latest version to see if that helps ..

#7 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

Hello,

I agree, I should have read the first post a little more closely, apologies, and thanks for clearing up any confusion I may have caused between the 2 apps.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users