Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem installing games

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 littleman77

littleman77

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

Help me, PC brain trust.

I have a bevy of Janeís flying games that I used to play on my old systems. I recently retired my franken-tower to the basement to serve as a NAS box for docs and media, and I put an off-lease Optiplex 755 on the main desk upstairs for a family computer, running WinXP Pro. Itís certainly got the hardware specs to run my old games, but I canít get them to install. The old system dual boots XP Home and Win98. I can play the games out of 98, but I canít get them to install on XP Home. I know in the past I was able to install and play them on the XP Home partition, but I had to reimage back to a point before the games were on there and now after all the system updates they wonít go back on.

Hereís the behavior (both XP machines):

Load install disc (in this case Janeís USAF, but the behavior is the same for all games I've tried).
Autoplay brings up splash screen.
Select ďInstallĒ.
Splash screen disappears, icon spins for ten seconds.
Nothing else happens.
Process ďsetup.exeĒ is in task manager, doing nothing.
No error messages, no program events, nothing.

Hereís what Iíve tried:

Ensure Iím using admin account, fail.
Disable virus scan, fail.
Disable firewall, fail.
Compatibility mode, fail.
Mount ISO to virtual drive, fail.
Copy disc to HDD and run, fail.
Rename executable file, fail.
Write new ISO with renamed exe, mount and run, fail.
Burn new ISO to disc and run, fail.
Install games to VM running Win98, install success but game wonít run for lack of hardware virtualization (video).
Install games to laptop running Win7, install success but game won't run in any compatibility mode.

I have no problems with other executables for various programs, this behavior is specific to games (so far, Janes and Microprose). I am at witís end. Everything works fine when I boot up the 98 partition on the basement NAS. Iíve got good hardware, software and media, so what can I do to force XP to install my games?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Itís certainly got the hardware specs to run my old games, but I canít get them to install. << Could be wrong -
Most of these games are designed for Pre XP systems, so they will not run on your "modern" updated XP
I have the same situation with several Win 98 games that no longer run - Some are suitable, but not all -
Google Janeís flight games, and check the OS required for these games, even Wiki has a list, see below >>>
Wiki List of games
Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters (1994) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: US Navy Fighters Marine Fighters (1995) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters - Nato Fighters (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: Advanced Tactical Fighters Gold (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow: Flash Point Korea (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: AH-64D Longbow Limited Edition (1996) DOS
Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Gold (1997) DOS, Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: U.S. Navy Fighters '97 (1997) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations - 688(I) Hunter/Killer (1997) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: Fighters Anthology (1997) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow 2 (1997) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: WWII Fighters (1998) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: Longbow Anthology (1998) DOS, Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: F-15 (1998) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force (1998) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: Fleet Command (1999) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: USAF (1999) Windows
Jane's Combat Simulations: F/A-18 (2000) Windows

Good Luck -

#3 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Try dropping your resolution as low as you can. This can make a difference with the older games.

Then,
Have you tried closing the autoplay screen, then using my computer open the CD and find the setup.exe file. Change that to Win98 compatibility mode. I'm not sure if it will work, but worth a try.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#4 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

Unless you get an emulator to run those games, WIN 98 programs will most likely not run on XP. You could dual boot, but that keeps the OS separate which is why that works. XP isn't known for running programs that aren't written for it. Windows has gotten better about using older programs but that's with Windows 7 going back to XP.

#5 littleman77

littleman77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Try dropping your resolution as low as you can. This can make a difference with the older games.

Then,
Have you tried closing the autoplay screen, then using my computer open the CD and find the setup.exe file. Change that to Win98 compatibility mode. I'm not sure if it will work, but worth a try.

Yup, this was one of the first things I tried. The XP Home system is set to 1024x768 on an old 19" CRT. I wouldn't think that would be too taxing for these games.

Unless you get an emulator to run those games, WIN 98 programs will most likely not run on XP. You could dual boot, but that keeps the OS separate which is why that works. XP isn't known for running programs that aren't written for it. Windows has gotten better about using older programs but that's with Windows 7 going back to XP.

The trick with these is that I know I've run them on my old XP Home system before. They were a bit glitchy, but gameplay was still pretty smooth. There were definitely other (older) Jane's games that I would never dream of running on XP.

I gave up on Falcon 4.0 after I discovered FreeFalcon6 which runs beautifully on my Optiplex. The Jane's games still work on my Win98 system, so I'll be doing some component upgrades and a clean reinstall just to maximize it. It's not a problem to use two boxes for different stuff, I was just trying to be too clever, I think. My hardware buddy has a bunch of old stuff, so I'm going to go pick through it later this week. I should be able to piece together a smoking 98 system for just a few bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users