Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot log on to a website using IE 8

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wrhatt

wrhatt

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

There is a secure website (username/password required) that I log onto for my job. It is a web site was designed so that it is only accessible using Internet Explorer. I am running XP and using IE8 with AVG 2012. No other web browsers will work nor are they allowed ie; Chrome, Safari, FireFox ect. I have spoken to the website's techs and they cannot get my computer to access the web site. They have made sure I have all the latest Window updates, JAVA updates, FLASH updates, and ACTIVE X updates. We have deleted and re-installed IE8. They think it is a virus but cannot go any further in helping me. My teenager shares this computer so there is no telling what he has downloaded. Can anyone else help? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

have you verified its the actual PC and logged into the site from some where else VIA your credentials??

#3 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yes. Also the techs verified that my account is current

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

Are you able to at least reach the site and get a username/password request? I'm not clear on what happens when you try and access the site?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

It gives an error code after I enter my username and password;

JS Exception caught in http://mfr.mlxchange.com/5.6.05.28693/Include/ExpireFile.js - Window.OnError: Automation server can't create object in line 58 Call Stack: InitiateFileExpire()

According to the web sites tech the error code didn't tell him anything he could use. I also notice that I cannot access Target.com because it says my web browser is not supported.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

Have you updated your Java? Or if you have updated, have you possibly tried to uninstall and reinstall to make sure it's not a corrupt install of Java?

EDIT: After a discussion with another staff member. The suspicion is you have issues with your Java framework. The suggestion is to delete all versions of Java and install just the latest version.

Link to the latest Java: http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Yes I have all the updates. I also corrected the Target.com problem. I found a Mozilla 4.0 user agent that I deleted and corrected that problem. Unfortunately I still cannot get into the MLS web site that I need.

#8 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

The JAVA issue is the 1st thing the website tech went after when he tried to correct my problem.

#9 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

I understand. However, JS is client side code. Which means unless there's an error in the code being presented to you (in which case it should affect everyone) the issue resides with your system.

Just to confirm, the tech had you completely remove all versions of Java prior to reinstalling? This can be important.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#10 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Sorry for double post.

It's very unlikely the issue is malware related just based on experience with how malware operates. We can certainly check for it just to clear you if other things don't pan out.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#11 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

After further research and consultation, try this.

Go to Tools > Internet options > Security > Custom Level
Under the ActiveX controls and plug-ins, select Enable for Initializing and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe.

Let me know if that helps.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#12 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

Enable for Initializing and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe did not change anything as for getting into the website. When I was on yestersday with the website tech, he did a "remote in" into my computer and deleted all the JAVA programs. There were about 3 of them. He then downloaded the latest which is JAVA 7 update 7. Still no joy.

#13 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

You should check to make sure that you have the MSXML components installed as well. You can download them from Microsoft.

Also, which version of XP are you running? SP2, SP3?

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#14 wrhatt

wrhatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I have whatever the latest XP is. I just checked Windows Update and it said there were no updates available at this time. As a side note concerning MSXML, I assume that concerns Microsoft Office. This brings up another problem I have but I wanted to get the IE8 issue fixed first. I have Office 2010 (with all the updates) but I cannot open a Word document (doc.) sent from Office 1997-2003. Could they be related?

#15 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I have Office 2010 (with all the updates) but I cannot open a Word document (doc.) sent from Office 1997-2003. Could they be related?

Extremely unlikely that the two are related. Let's circle back to that issue later.

If you have Windows XP SP3 (the latest release) then it's unlikely that MSXML is your issue.

Try resetting IE back to the default settings. How to reset Internet Explorer settings. Let me know if that helps.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users