Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD or CMOS battery?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop, using Vista Home Prem.

When I boot, I see power and hear noises but don't see a display. I have run LCD BIST and that works on the laptop. I have tried starting from a boot CD and still do not get a display. I have tried starting a external monitor and can't get an image either. I have to sit there for a random amount of time turning the Laptop on and off until I see the BIOS and start up screen. I have also updated BIOS and ran all anti-virus, ect software with no results. I have done defrag and dskchk.

If I get it to work, I run Dell diagnostic and get Error codes: 0F00:1A44, 0F00:065D, 0F00:0244, 0F00:0146
I have also used Hiren's hdd diagnostic and get an error in HDD almost right away.

Now it seems to me that the HDD is failing and that's why I can't see display on start up, but here's the kicker, the date and time are always reset when I do get it turned on. Which seems like the CMOS battery is failing, but all tests run on it say it's ok.

Could the CMOS battery cause the issue, or is it the HDD? Would a bad CMOS battery stop the computer from displaying, even if there was no HDD problem?

I'm thinking I have a failing HDD which needs to be replaced and a bad CMOS battery that also needs to be replaced, do you agree? Is there a chance that the CMOS battery is causing false errors and the HDD errors will go away if I replace the battery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

I've seen failing CMOS batteries...cause seeming hardware errors where there were none.

I'd replace that, regardless of what conclusions you come to.

Louis

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

You could externally test the hard drive if it is really failing by connecting it to another system.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

A number of users have discussed this problem on the particular dell laptop with a number of causes and fix. Dell Community, hope you find one that would solve your problem.

Edited by jhayz, 17 October 2012 - 07:38 PM.

Tekken

#5 cee134

cee134
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

I'm going to try changing the CMOS battery, I don't have the cables to diagnose the HDD separately. If that doesn't work, then I know it's the HDD, however I ran at least 3 more HDD diagnostic tools and they all came up with HDD errors. I just really don't want it to be the HDD.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

<<...however I ran at least 3 more HDD diagnostic tools and they all came up with HDD errors. I just really don't want it to be the HDD.>>

Well...I'd say that any valid HD diagnostic test would be more credible than random opinions from users who did not/cannot test the hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users