Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no sound after trojan removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aspall

Aspall

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

A while back, several months in fact, i was instructed to use FRST in order to detect/remove trojans/rootkits etc.
In the process, my sound has completely gone. There is no symbol on the taskbar, and the pc doesn't seem to even recognise the speakers to be there, although i think it recognises the sound card. Briefly challenged this before when i had time, and tried to download a driver update/replacement, but this wouldn't work.
Any ideas on how to get the sound back? (the same also happened to my webcam over a year ago, but im not so bothered about that, but the lack of sound is frustrating at the best of times)
if its any help, this is the original thread when i lost the sound, and you can see from my posts where i lost it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic454239.html

thankyou

Aspall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aspall

Aspall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ran FSS and it seems im missing several registry keys, which i guess may be why the sound and other things aren't working. Anyone know how i replace them? would rather not resort to going back to factory settings...

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hi -
Start with running sfc /scannow (System File Checker) to try and restore installed files -
Go - Start > Programs > Accessories > Find Command Prompt and Right click on it > Select Run as Administrator > Type sfc /scannow and press Enter
This should take about 5 to 15 minutes to run (depending on your system)

Thank You -
EDIT - I have just discovered this - We are less skilled than the Experts, so, please reopen your topic or start a new one -
You left Jason as he was making headway with reinstalling your drivers (as dated below and linked above)
Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:08 AM
Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed

Edited by noknojon, 17 October 2012 - 03:53 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

As noknojon has stated you have left two topics incomplete. The Malware log topic you link to. Also an Am I Infected topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic470744.html

Please follow through with at least one or both of your previous helpers before starting another topic. They may resolve your issues during the completion of the topics.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Aspall

Aspall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Apoligies,

I don't think i ever saw a notification in my email when he had replied, so i hadn't followed through. I've followed the instructions on there now, should i request to reopen the topic?

From what i can understand it wasn't the trojan that caused the problem, but a service thats not running.

Aspall

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yes please send the member helping you a PM that you would like to continue and request your topic be re-opened. Once the topic is reopened we will close this one so we don't confuse everyone. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users