Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI modem install problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

I want to use Windows Fax and Scan on an HP Pavilion p6203w desktop computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I bought an inexpensive internal PCI fax modem and installed it, which seemed to go without problem. Device Manager reports it is working properly, but when I use the Diagnostics to query the modem I get an error that the port the modem is attached to could not be opened because of a possible hardware conflict. The modem log reports the following:

10-16-2012 12:20:39.662 - Modem type: PCI SoftV92 Modem
10-16-2012 12:20:39.662 - Modem inf path: oem28.inf
10-16-2012 12:20:39.662 - Modem inf section: Modem3
10-16-2012 12:20:39.662 - Matching hardware ID: pci\ven_14f1&dev_2f30&subsys_205114f1
10-16-2012 12:20:39.724 - Opening the modem device failed with error 000005aa

The computer has no built-in COM ports (strictly USB), and the modem, like almost all internal modems, installs itself on virtual port COM3. When I try to change the port to *any* other COM port, I get an error that the port has been opened by another application.

What gives here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Specs I find online for that model suggest it might already have a 56k modem:

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01859861&lc=en

You haven't overlooked the little existing card have you? That could give a conflict.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

That's interesting, all right. The link says it has a PCI-E modem already installed, but I assure you there is nothing in any of the expansion slots. The new modem I installed fits in the sole standard PCI slot (there are also two PCI-E slots and a PCI-X slot).

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:02 AM

I wonder then if the original modem has simply been removed at some time without its drivers being uninstalled, and this is causing the problem with the new modem? That's about all I can think of at the moment, unless the mainboard actually does have unused pins to connect a cable for a COM port, in which case it may have got turned on in the BIOS. See if there is a Communications Port showing as COM1 in Device Manager - if there is, disable it in the BIOS setup.

Then I'd suggest if the drivers for the one you've fitted now have an uninstall, run that, shut down and remove the current modem then re-boot into Safe Mode. In Device Manager under Safe Mode, you will be able to see if there are any "phantom" Winmodem installations still hanging about. Delete any if you find them - Winmodems are notoriously picky about wanting their installation "just right".

Shut down, re-fit the new modem and install its drivers again. Check particularly if during the installation there is any option to assign COM ports, and see if you then get a working installation.

Edited by Platypus, 18 October 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

I did all that you suggested, to no avail. There are no built-in serial ports, as confirmed by the BIOS setup and an inspection of the motherboard for pins or jumpers. Device Manager shows no actual COM or LPT ports. I uninstalled the modem, including the driver, shut down the computer and physically removed it from the PCI slot. I restarted in Safe Mode, and Device Manager showed no modem installed and no COM ports. I shut down aggain, put the modem back in the slot and restarted. It reported new hardware and installed the drivers. Again the modem failed the Diagnostics and will not allow the COM port to be changed to *any* port, including COM3, which is the default port on installation. The modem is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7, 32- and 64-bit, and comes with the appropriate drivers. Another site gives it positive reviews and says that many users have successfully installed it in Windows 7 computers when other modems have failed to install.

I'm baffled.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

I'm out of ideas too at the moment. Maybe someone else will think of something.

#7 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:54 AM

I'm still in search of a solution to this problem Just to ensure that there was no problem with the modem itself, I pulled it out and placed it in another desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate. It recognized the modem, installed the driver and gave no diagnostics errors. The modem works fine there. Of course that's not the computer I want to use with Windows Fax and Scan.

I'm focusing on why the HP computer thinks that *all* (every single one) COM ports are in use. That one baffles me.

I've posted this question on four different forums. The few replies I have received admit that the authors are as perplexed as I am.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,486 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Maybe try setting Device Manager to display non-present devices? As per here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/6c4a6394-0b01-4ccb-af9b-da172f554796

See if any COM ports show up and can be deleted.

#9 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I turned on the switch to show non-present devices, opened Device Manager and checked Show Hidden Devices. There were no COM ports shown (and no additional modems).

#10 Scooter B

Scooter B

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

FWIW I have an HP Media Center m7664x running Windows 7 Pro and I can't get the PC to recognize the built in "56K bps data/fax modem" after Windows 7 upgrade.  No modem shows up in my device manager as it did under XP even when I select the show hidden devices option. Local Services is set to run the fax service automatically so the service is not disabled.

My HP 5610 printer/copier/fax set up reports my hardware passes the set up test but failed the "phone line connection test".  I know the phone cord is good because I can plug a phone into the same cord and the phone works fine.  (There are no DSL type filters in the phone cord signal path).

When I use the Windows 7 manual Fax set up it asks me "on what ports do I want to install it on" after I manually select the 56000 bps standard modem from the drop down menu.  There are no drop down options for ports only an empty box to manually type in a port.  All other select-able options are grayed out.

System specs say nothing about how this modem is connected (PCI or what?) OR what port it can or should connect to. 

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00771737-4%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.tpst=ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=3220014&ac.admitted=1406931119870.876444892.199480143#N10034 

Hyperlink to product specs not working for me either at the moment.

I don't want to hijack original posters question but it came up in my search before I opened a new question thread and thought there might be a possibility there could be some underlying issue in common.  If so perhaps my issue could shed some light on it.  If not I will post a new separate thread for my question later.

Refusing to make waves is not an indicator of a life well lived. Refusing to make waves is the state that precedes drowning. - Paul Coughlin author

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

That board has integrated LAN, you won't see a card if you remove the case cover...but there is a network connector protruding from the appropriate spot at the rear of the system.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01701270&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N291

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users