Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Hard Drive Format Problems. Need Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JazzMahn

JazzMahn

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

I am helping a friend with a Windows 7 HP Media Center PC. The hard drive went bad and I ordered a new 500 gig hard drive for it. Reinstalled the hard drive and at first saw my friend had a set of recovery CDs. I used the first cd and it appeared that it did a complete reformat. Then it just stopped. Couldn't get it to work. I believe the computer originally had Vista 32 bit on it.

My friend was given the PC by his inlaws so he didn't know what upgrades had been done. There also was a Windows 7 Backup disk.

I ran the set up for Windows 7. It went all the way through the installation and then restarted for the first time to run. It got to the point where it was checking the video performance and wouldn't go any further. I let it sit and sit.

After about twenty minutes I shut it down and started the process a second time. This time it went through the installation fine and then blue screened. Now I can't even get to the installation screen when I start the Windows Disk.

If I try to start the comnputer I see three instances of Windows. 1 is Windows 7, 2 is Windows 7, and the third is HP Setup.

I've done many Windows installations as well as have installed many hard drives. I assume the best thing I can do is to Fdisk and reformat the entire hard drive and try again.

Can someone step me through how to do a Fdisk and format on Windows 7. I've done it using a Windows 98 emrgency disk in the past but have never had to on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:47 PM

I think there is a problem with the discs you are using as they are tied for a particular computer model only. If its a retail disc of windows, you would not have problems of formatting and reinstalling windows.

Tekken

#3 Nett0

Nett0

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

I am helping a friend with a Windows 7 HP Media Center PC. The hard drive went bad and I ordered a new 500 gig hard drive for it. Reinstalled the hard drive and at first saw my friend had a set of recovery CDs. I used the first cd and it appeared that it did a complete reformat. Then it just stopped. Couldn't get it to work. I believe the computer originally had Vista 32 bit on it.

My friend was given the PC by his inlaws so he didn't know what upgrades had been done. There also was a Windows 7 Backup disk.

I ran the set up for Windows 7. It went all the way through the installation and then restarted for the first time to run. It got to the point where it was checking the video performance and wouldn't go any further. I let it sit and sit.

After about twenty minutes I shut it down and started the process a second time. This time it went through the installation fine and then blue screened. Now I can't even get to the installation screen when I start the Windows Disk.

If I try to start the comnputer I see three instances of Windows. 1 is Windows 7, 2 is Windows 7, and the third is HP Setup.

I've done many Windows installations as well as have installed many hard drives. I assume the best thing I can do is to Fdisk and reformat the entire hard drive and try again.

Can someone step me through how to do a Fdisk and format on Windows 7. I've done it using a Windows 98 emrgency disk in the past but have never had to on Windows 7.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Last experience I had with Windows Installations hanging was too much RAM (only XP ran into this problem), failing RAM, or a bad hard disk. RAM rarely fails though, and if it was working before, it should be fine. My guess is that the Hard Disk is failing. Pull the drive and run a SMART test using HDTUNE or the drive manufacturers tool.

Even if the disk returns healthy with warnings, those warnings potentially mean a fault disk. Best thing to do if you still want to continue using the disk it is healthy... run a chkdsk /r from another computer.

Windows removed Full Formatting from the installation process after XP, stupid move by Microsoft, but we have to live with it.

I think there is a problem with the discs you are using as they are tied for a particular computer model only. If its a retail disc of windows, you would not have problems of formatting and reinstalling windows.

Retail and OEM purposes are for activation methods only. From my experience any retail or OEM disc will install fine no matter what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users