Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fujitsu Toshiba testing.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

So I read the pinned topic on hdd installation/diagnostic tools. Went to the Toshiba site downloaded the Fujitsu HDD Diagnostic Tool for Windows. When I run it as Administrator it loads/opens just fine but will not let me select a hdd to test, if I click on short test button it tells me I must select a drive first. It finds the drives okay. So I downloaded the DOS version to put on a boot disc. I burned it into an iso, and then burned that to a CD.. Obviously I did something incorrectly as it did not work.. Some direction would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Scott

EDIT: I was able to run UBCD 5.1 and ran the Fujitsu HDD test from there and it did not find the drive either. The machine is brand new and was working fine, the guy said some error msg (he thought it was a virus) came up and then it shut off, to never reboot into Windows again. I tried a Startup repair with Win7 disc (no joy). It seems to function when I have it plugged into an USB adapter to my main machine. I just tried a different hdd (loaded with Vista) into machine, it complained but got to the desktop, so that leaves me with the belief that the new hdd is failing fast.

Edited by snglnluvnit, 17 October 2012 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Boot it into BIOS and see if the BIOS recognizes the drive, also check inside to make sure the cables are properly hooked up. If the BIOs doesnt recognize the drive, and its hooked up properly, chances are its toasted beyond the capability of testing. If the BIOS does recognize it, then you may have done something wrong with the diagnostic tool.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

It shows up in BIOS, it was purchased new 6 weeks ago, and is a laptop. As I stated earlier I can access the drive through an USB adapter, and I put a known good drive in machine (loaded w/vista) and it booted to desktop, complained some about updating drivers, but it still worked.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Have you tried scanning the drive first with Malwarebytes or a resident antivirus while connected as an external drive? You could also use the Windows error checking tools.

Tekken

#5 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I used chkdsk and it reported nothing, neither MBAM or MSE finish a scan, they just get to a point and stop. TDSSKiller came back clean. I spoke with Toshiba today and they had attempt to boot into Safe Mode (failed), and attempt to boot into Factory Recovery (failed), they thought it would be a faulty hdd, so back it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users