Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 beeps and no boot!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ButtSlammington

ButtSlammington

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Dell Dimension 4700...power supply fan used to make a God awful noise for ages and you'd have to beat on it to get it to hush up. Eventually the system would just shut down with an abrupt whirring sound. Ive checked and swapped all memory sticks and everything's seated properly. The only thing I get now is 2 beeps and no display what so ever. I hold down the power button to shut it down and still get that brief whir from the fan..upon some research Ive read it may be possible motherboard issues but with all the whirring and banging on the back of the power supply fan back when it did actually work makes me wonder if I could swap out my power supply with the one I have on a lesser dell pc I currently use. Any thoughts??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Are you getting any lights on the front? Are you sure it is only 2 beeps? (not to be patronizing, just didn't see any info about only 2)

Check out this page for some good info to look for, and report back with any new information. Good luck!

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/adtshoot.htm

#3 ButtSlammington

ButtSlammington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Yes, only two...I didnt see anything on any lists either. all the abcd lights are on on the back and a green power at the front if im not mistaken.

#4 ButtSlammington

ButtSlammington
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

3 green and a yellow on the back claiming Another failure has occurred.

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Dang it, thanks for the good laugh! My favorite instruction: If the problem persists, contact Dell (see your Owner's Manual). (Since they obviously know what's going on!)

You mentioned another power supply - do the motherboard connections look the same? Looks like any 24pin ATX PSU should work. (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/techov.htm#wp1052362)
Might be an easy place to start.

Might have to work this one the old fashioned trial-and-error way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users