Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can the hard drive "Click of Death" come and go?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frank11111

frank11111

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

I recently received a few older desktops as part of compensation for wiping the hard drives at my friends office. They gave me a supposedly broken hard drive that a technician had diagnosed. there was a note on it saying click death. I put it in a machine and powered it up. I was able to install windows 7 on it and then ran an advanced hitachi drive fitness test twice. It had no problems and made no noise.

So my question is whether that means it was misdiagnosed or if the problem might just creep up again in the future after some use. I'm trying to sell the computers and it is one of the larger hard drives but I don't want to sell it if it's likely to crap out. Is there some other troubleshooting I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

IME, which is limited, hard drives which produce noise along with problems...are best replaced.

I don't think it's a matter of IF it will fail...hard drives are not made in a manner to produce certain sounds and such indicate a physical problem. Think of it this way...if you are driving your auto and you hear a sound which is not normally heard ...are you going to ignore it or take your car to a mechanic to have it checked out?

Louis

#3 frank11111

frank11111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

I understand that but in my case I never heard any noise because I wasn't there. It's possible that the person who inspected it wasn't a professional or made some mistake. So what i'm asking is whether it's possible for that noise to simply go away. I thought that if the click of death starts happening then the hdd is doomed. Yet in my case it would seem to be just fine which makes me think it was never there in the first place.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yes it is possible for the noise to come and go. I had a Maxtor click continuously for up to a minute, then be fine for a few days. It gave me about 2 weeks notice before it died. If the hard drive is SMART capable, then any problems (read/write retries, bad sectors, remapped blocks) should be stored in the hard drives memory and readable with whatever software you have. If it is an older pre SMART drive, and the diag software is doing only a read/write scan, then you can have hidden problems that won't make themselves known until the problem actually manifests itself.

Edited by dpunisher, 16 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I have had them click and stop, so yes they can. When that happens, its best to start backing everything up and finding a new drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users