Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth getting a Wifi Booster???

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

I just purchased a rental property in the Florida Keys. It is associated with a hotel that is next door to the property. We have free access to their wifi internet. Problem is, in the rental property, you only get a one bar signal that goes in and out. I am able to get internet for a couple minutes. Then it will lose the signal and it will re-find the signal I have to reconnect. If I get a wifi booster, will it be able to resolve my situation or is the signal too weak to boost? Thanks in advance for any help. :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

A better antenna for your wireless receiver should be sufficient. Just search for
wifi high gain antenna
to see all the options available.

Also, remember to be careful using public wifi at a hotel...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26674/keep-your-windows-computer-secure-on-public-wireless-hotspots/

James

#3 PorscheFB61

PorscheFB61
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

A better antenna for your wireless receiver should be sufficient. Just search for
wifi high gain antenna
to see all the options available.

Also, remember to be careful using public wifi at a hotel...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26674/keep-your-windows-computer-secure-on-public-wireless-hotspots/

James

If I have a laptop, would I have to get a usb wireless card and replace the antenna with a high gain one? Or do they sell usb High Gain wireless cards? If they do what is a good one?

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have personally used one that has a USB cable attached to it that I can plug into a laptop. Unfortunately, the one I use is no longer sold (bought it over 3 years ago from a bargain bin since I wasn't sure it would solve my problem) but in my case it turned one bar into four bars and I still use it when I need it. It's about the size of a deck of cards, has a 12 inch or so antenna on it and I use a 4 foot USB cable to connect it to the computer.

James

#5 HetfieldJ

HetfieldJ

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Wifi Booster is a myth!

To get better signals, ask the hotel to set up a repeater. :)

Edited by HetfieldJ, 20 October 2012 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users