Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu-Ray/DVD drive not recognising any media

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sepulcher

Sepulcher

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

I don't know when this started exactly as I rarely use my Blu-Ray/DVD drive, but I recently bought an album and I was annoyed as it wasn't recognising the media.
I tried it with other CDs in my collection with no luck, too.

What usually happens is I'll insert the CD and my computer will make a whirr sound and the fans will pick up speed. Now, though, when I insert media it whirs for about a second and it's quiet.

My computer is an Asus N53Jq.

I tried troubleshooting via the "fixit" app on the windows website with no luck at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

Problem is still persistent.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Welcome to Bleeping computer.

Asus makes some pretty decent laptops and it is rare that they fail within a few years of purchase.

I have looked up your model number at the Asus web site and see it has a multi DVD/ Blu-ray combo drive.

For the sake of this forum, here is the link I am reviewing while I type this reply to you.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Multimedia_Entertainment/N53Jq/#specifications

I have to ask you if you have any problems playing blu-ray disks?

Do DVD disks play okay?

I am assuming you have windows 7 on this laptop, have you checked your auto-play options for disk drives to see what option is chosen for music CDs? Is it Windows Media Player for example? your selection might also cause certain media not to play if it points to an application that does not support playing CD media files.

I would check on those settings.

You can also try cleaning the optical lens. it is easily accessible do to the fact that it is part of the CD tray and is exposed while the tray is open.

Carefully wipe the lens with a soft clean rag and try loading your media again.

If it fails to load and your settings are correct, there is a possibility your drive has lost its ability to read music CDs. What I must say is it is must common for a drive to lose its ability to read DVD disks first, so you might want to try a DVD, if it fails to load, your drives laser is on the verge of a total failure and should be replaced with a new one.

Incidently, most users can replace a laptop optical drive and they are sold where computer parts are sold.
So you don't have to pay a repair tech if you wish not to.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 19 October 2012 - 09:07 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thank you very much for your reply!

DVD discs are not being recognized, and I've tried about 3 different ones.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

I checked my Autoplay options and none had been set. I changed some of the settings for them (audio, videos etc.).

I've cleaned the lens with a rag as you suggested and unfortunately the problem is still there.

Should probably look around for some replacement at retailers.

Also, could the reason my drive is failing be because I haven't used it for over 6 months for anything? I can't get my head around how something which is barely used can be the first to fail on my PC.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

It is rare for an optical drive to fail under limited usage, but it does happen.

You say you rarely used the drive, so what a person skilled in electronics repair such as my self would do is try removing the drive from the laptop.

I stress it is important not to have the laptop up and running when you do this.

Most optical drives are held in place by a screw located on the bottom side of the laptop, once this screw or screws is removed, the drive should slide out of the laptop case.

Now gently wipe the contacts of the drive with a clean dry rag, please do not use abrasives such a chemicals or sand paper!

Now try reinserting the drive into your laptop and replace the screws that you removed.

Now boot up the laptop and try loading a DVD or CD disk into the drive.

If it fails to load, your a victim of a failed disk drive, sadly it does happen from time to time.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Sepulcher

Sepulcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Ok, I did it and there seems to be no fix, so as you said, I will need to buy a replacement optical lens.

Does it matter on brand, or do they all work to the same effect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users