Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display disaster

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 puphie

puphie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi all,

Here is what I think happened:

I clicked yes on a User Account Control (UAC) notification that popped up when I booted up the other day. Stupid, as I was not actually installing anything at the time, but I hadn't had my coffee yet and habit took charge.

Anyway, I didn't really note it, but then the next day when I booted up again, big problems. First, at the initial screen upon boot (stats about computer), purple dots behind the text. Then, when the text disappears, something looking like white quotations marks appears randomly across the screen. Then, white static lines appear running horizontally across the screen, covering the screen content from the boot all the way through to completion of boot. Unfortunately, the computer won't run properly once fully booted up. Processor running at breakneck speed, almost impossible to do anything, screen fading to white or black, etc.

Hardware problem, right? That's what I thought, at first. But when I boot into safe mode, no problem. Everything works, inasmuch as anything works in safe mode.

I did a scan with Emsisoft and this was found:
MSIE690.exe Moved to quarantine.
I also did a search with Malwarebytes and this was found:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DRM\BB16.tmp.dat (Trojan.Agent.MRGGen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I've since rebooted and scanned with Superantispyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, as well as Emsi and Malwarebytes and nothing was found. So I think the virus issue MAY be dealt with, though I'm not sure. More importantly, removing the viruses has not remedied the symptoms as described.

Any thoughts? And thanks in advance for your time...

Dell Studio XPS 1640 running Windows 7 Pro SP 1(64 bit), Intel Core Duo CPU T9900.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi,

It is probably an intermittent hardware problem.
It's been a couple of days, still no issues at all while in Safe Mode?

#3 puphie

puphie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

OK, sorry for not replying, but of course the whole thing went pear shaped almost immediately after that last post... Dell support worked with me and determined that it is, in fact, a hardware problem, initially diagnosing a failing hard disk. Replaced that. Unfortunately the screen problems continued. However, they have thus far been unable to fix it. Two motherboard swaps later, not to mention the weeks (yes, weeks!) in getting the laptop to and from the Dell repair workshop, where the good little elves there have managed to fix all the cosmetic problems with my computer (missing key, stickers on the back from the kid, bent hinges) I'm stuck with the computer freezing again.

As this is an old thread now, I'm going to open a new topic, but figured I ought to wrap this one up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users