Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Duplicate files

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 alliep

alliep

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I had to create a new profile to replace a corrupted one. On the new profile under My Computer there is a folder named Alison's Documents (old profile name) and Allie's Documents (new profile name) and the files are identical. If I delete a file in one it deletes in the other. I have 42.1 gb of pictures and video that is duplicated in the other. I CANNOT lose these files! I think this may be why my computer memory is almost full. I can't even sync my iPhone to iTunes because there isn't enough space.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Allie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

By any chance have you thought of an external hdd?? Also maybe try moving the files somewhere else or make a copy of those and try and remove them perhaps. BUT if they are really that important you SHOULD have an external backup. I bought a WD passport for that same reason for crucial files.

Edited by graphicsman, 15 October 2012 - 10:48 PM.

#3 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Yes I do have an external hard drive. I'm just so scared to delete from the computer. Looking for other options until I absolutely have to delete from computer and store strictly onto the external.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

I backup all my data to dvd as I go (about 1500 over the years). My really vital data is backed up to two separate dvds. Your data would be about 10 dvds (cost $3 for decent quality disks plus your time). Burning programs like Nero can verify the compilation after burning. You could do it in addition to external HDD backup. Alternatively pay for online backup.

While HDDs have come down in price so much that they are the cheapest and quickest form of backup, there is always the chance of the drive being fritzed by lightning strikes etc or hardware failure. Electrical surges may not affect the platters but if the electronics are gone then data retrieval could be expensive. Many people keep their external drives permanently connected, either by its data link or the power unit. Not the best idea. Depending on your circumstances, irreplaceable data should also be stored off premises to avoid fire loss.

#5 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've thought about backing up to disks but had a friend recently go through all of her disks of pictures and about half of them were empty. I will deal with that later.
So any suggestions on my original question? How can I delete one of the duplicate folders without deleting them all?

Thanks!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

If there are two folders...both should be visibel via any existing profile.

If there is only one folder...then deleting files in one deletes files in the other, regardless of name.

What is the file path for these seemingly two different folders, please?

Louis

#7 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

My Computer/My Documents/AlisonsDocuments/In this folder is all of my pictures and videos and a few documents.
My Computer/My Documents/AlliesDocumemts/same as above

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

The problem may result from using the My Docs folder for both profiies. My Docs is a system file and it doesn't behave in the same manner that a data file might behave.

I suggest...creating a new folder that is not in My Docs...call is something simple...then copy all files in either of the My Docs folders into the new folder.

That should result in two distinct sets of files which are duped.

Of course...the simple solution would just be to keep one set of files (not in Docs/Settings/My Docs...that would be equally accessible to both profiles. That eliminates the need for duplicate files.

FWIW: If you don't have sufficient space on your Windows partition...for Windows to function properly...that needs to be addressed. It's commonly felt that a minimum of 15% of the Windows partition...must be free space.

Louis

#9 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

The old profile named Alison is not accessible (I never sign on to it) so those files are not on that profile. It's the newer profile named Allie is where the dups are. I have a feeling there will not be enough room to create and copy these files to the new folder you suggested because of my limited disk space.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Well...disk space problems can be solved by adding hard drives, either internal or external (as the user may prefer).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 October 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#11 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

I don't think adding hard drives is necessary...there is an extra 45gb that is eating up the hard drive that doesn't need to be there. This computer is mainly used only to store pictures, external hd and wifi router.
I will go through my pics and try to weed through them to make space and follow your instructions from earlier.
Thanks

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

:thumbup2: , we try to help :).

Louis

#13 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi! So I double checked where these 2 folders were saved (I was at work when I responded earlier today) and thought they were in My documents. Here are the actual paths...
C:\Documents and Settings\Allie\My Documents\My Pictures
C:\Documents and Settings\Alison\My Documents\My Pictures

I tried to cut and paste them somewhere else (C:\Documents and Settings) but it wouldn't allow me to paste.

Any suggestions.
Thanks!
Allie

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

As I stated before...those are system files. Windows should not allow you to cut/paste them...but it will allow you to copy the contents (which is what I suggested) and then paste the contents into a different folder in a different location.

Louis

#15 alliep

alliep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

Ok. Where would you suggest I copy them to since all of my other folders are in that same location (C:\Documents and settings). Maybe onto my desktop, delete the duplicates and then put back to the path that i memtioned in my earlier post?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users