Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taking ownership=microsoft security essentials problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DenverJay

DenverJay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster! So, here's the rundown. I partioned my hard drive, backed some stuff up, and reinstalled windows7. Noticing a lack of space, I tried to delete old windows files, and wasn't allowed to. Found a nifty little script that allows one to take ownership of said files. After running it, I could no longer update windows. Tracked that down, can't remember exactly what I did, I think I had to take ownership of a particular file, or delete a file, something like that. Its working, but I can't re-install Microsoft security essentials. It was working, but not updating, so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall. I keep getting error code 0x80070645. Did all the stuff found on Microsoft’s website, deleted all the right registry files, deleted folders, ran Microsoft’s fix it tool, ran their tool for install and uninstall problems, etc., it just won't work! I think running that "take ownership" program screwed my computer. Am pretty close to just saving what I want to keep on my "D" partition, and formatting "C" and reinstalling windows7. But, remembering the geniuses here at bleeping computer, I thought I'd see if anyone here had a solution before I went through all that work and service pack downloads (slow internet). So, any ideas? :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

I partioned my hard drive, backed some stuff up, and reinstalled windows7

Usually a clean install would not create any permission problems. The Windows old files seems peculiar after reinstall. Did you use the same CD, Windows edition and an original OS software?

Tekken

#3 DenverJay

DenverJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

naw, like an idiot i didn't do a clean install. It was a while ago so I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think it might have been an upgrade from xp, thus the "old windows" file that caused the whole mess to start with.

#4 DenverJay

DenverJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm really leaning towards a format and re-install, prob the best way to clean everything up.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Just backup all your files by an external drive and use the retail version of WIndows 7 and perform a clean install. Make sure your computer meets the requirements and drivers needed just in case.

Tekken

#6 DenverJay

DenverJay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

yeah, what I'm thinking, only using the partition thing to back up. Done it more times on more machines than I can count. Just was hoping to avoid since it really is running nice and has all the stuff I need for work installed. Big sigh, oh well. Gotta do what you gotta do. Luckily I have all the software so can reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users