Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC and Monitor can't agree on the screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zurenriri

Zurenriri

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

I've been having this problem for a while.
I have two monitors, the first one is actually a 24" HDTV running at 1920x1080 on HDMI input. The second one, the one I have trouble with, is my older 19" Acer AL1916W running on VGA input. The monitor insists that it's running at 1280x1024 resolution, but my computer insists that it's running at 1440x900. The monitor is designed to run at 1440x900 and worked just fine at that resolution until I got my HDTV and began using the Acer as a 2nd monitor. Now because the computer and monitor can't agree at what resolution to run at, I'm stuck with a squeezed image that leaves a 1.5-inch black bar at the top and bottom of my screen.

I've already tried updating the drivers on my monitor and my graphics card is running the latest GeForce driver (I just upgraded from 301.42 to 306.97 to try to fix the problem, with no success). My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 (1GB version), made by Palit.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Have a look at the pictures below for a better understanding.

EDIT: In the past, I was able to disconnect the VGA cable, shut down my computer, re-connect the cable, turn my computer back on, and that would fix it. That worked about five times. Then one day it started up with the screen "squeezed" like so, and my usual fix did not work. My monitor has been like this since June 2012.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Zurenriri, 15 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zurenriri

Zurenriri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Bump. Still having this issue :( any ideas, folks?

#3 Zurenriri

Zurenriri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

This is going to sound weird, but after four months my issue is resolved (for now) simply by smacking the reset button a few times while the computer booted up. Lol.

However if you ladies and gentlemen have a more, um, professional solution to this problem, I'd still like to hear it, just in case my monitor decides to act up again, which it probably will.
Happy Halloween!

Mod Edit: Removed graphic which seems to have no bearing on post/topic - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 November 2012 - 09:01 AM.
Removed graphic - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users