Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot issues need advise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yesterday I was switching out my PSU for a larger one so I could add another GPU. After adding my new PSU I made sure all my connections did not change and started the boot up process. I could never reach BIOS boot. I thought my SATA cabled came loose during the PSU swap but they all seem connected. I thought my boot HDD finally passed away and swapped with another hdd and it then would never boot still. I checked the SATA cables again, though I didnt remove them when I swapped the PSU. I couldnt find my manual and I was trying to locate the sequence for my mobo's SATA cables 1-6. I then removed all sata connections to the hdds except for the boot drive. The system seemed to boot right up with no issues but took awhile. I than tried to switch the sata cables around but the sequence was not up to par and would not boot. My computer finally booted up after several minutes and I logged in. It indicated it installed new HDD drivers but I really didnt change anything other than adding a new GPU and bigger PSU. Now my system boots up really slow and I dont know what to do or how to proceed. My specs are as followed:

MOBO: GA-890FXA-UD5 F3
CPU: 6-core not OCed
BOOT Drive: 500gb Seagate HDD
FILE Drives: 4 total WD 1TB in RAID 1 through windows 7 so I have 2TBs for files

On boot it shows IDE and the following:
0 Master WD1
0 Slave WD1
1 Master WD1
1 Slave WD1
2 Slave 500gb
5 Master for Optical Drive

It roughly takes 1-2 mins for boot to show up and 2 mins in windows black icon screen. Does any have a clue whats going on and how to correct it?? I did manage to boot up everything and move all import work and files on another rig.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graphicsman

graphicsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

well I even tried to leave it but Im lost in the correction. Everything is set to auto and from what Ive seen for that mobo some recommend turning auto off for detecting drives.

#3 graphicsman

graphicsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

ok now if I remove all the other drives except the boot it boots instantly. I also reset my BIOS and changed the boot order to be my Seagate. It cant be the PSU so what could it be??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

Disconnect all drives other than the boot drive and the optical drive.

Boot...if OK, turn system off...add one drive, noting the motherboard connector used.

Boot...if OK, add one more drive, noting motherboard connector used.

When you arrive at a particular drive where boot is impaired, run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (long test) on that drive, from DOS.

Louis

#5 graphicsman

graphicsman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I actually just ordered 6gb sata cables to upgrade. Why have 6gb drives and mobo but be using 3gb sata cables. Ill post back my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users