Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zero video output, no indication of a boot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Davey_boy

Davey_boy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

My computer has no video output anymore, nor does it beep when i turn it on so im not entirely sure if its booting at all(custom built pc that has never had a problem since it was built). The last thing done to the computer before it stopped working was a stick of ram was taken out and replaced in the same slot, however upon being replaced it was not clipped in all the way. I took it out and replaced it properly and made sure it was secure but now everything powers up, there are no beeps, and i have no video out. I have read that incorrectly placed ram can fry the slot but there are no signs or smells of anything like that, and all the pins are intact.

things i did.
Correctly replaced incorrectly placed ram
took out ram, turned on computer, no different, off
took out video card, turned on computer, no different, off
switched hdmi cables, tried using the onboard HDMI slot for the mobo
tried all different slots for ram
tried a different video card
tried unplugging cd-rom and hard drive
all have the same result.

Im at a loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Try to go for the processor this time, remove heatsink and inspect first for any discoloration/oxide, reapply thermal paste and make sure its well seated with heatsink. Use VGA and onboard GPU if available with one stick of good known RAM module alternately on different slots.

Tekken

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I second jhays' opinion - check the CPU. I also had a similar problem that had to do with an overclock. Nothing burned up or ruined, but after using my own CPU and RAM to test another computer, my own wouldn't come back on. Never did figure out why it didn't like the exact same config, so I had to clear the CMOS and redo the overclock. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? (Do people still say CMOS?) :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users